Another lens questions - sorry

butterflygirl

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.photosbymcdonald.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So yet again, I am asking another lens question - I'm about to make an order with B & H Photo and have decided to purchase the Canon 10-22 3.4-4.5.

But I'd also like to get a great portrait lens and wondered what REALLY is the difference between the Canon 85 mm 1.8 and the 1.2? I see the 1.2 is about $1,700 while the 1.8 is about $400 - what gives?

Since I can't really afford the 1.2 at this time along with the other lens I'm getting, I was thinking of getting the 1.8.

Or should I just wait and save up some more cash and get the 1.2? But then I also was thinking of getting the Canon 24-70 - which one is better in terms of a portrait lens? What do you think?

I have made ONE decision at least - the Canon 10-22 - good decision? I hope so! :)

Any suggestions or tips is HIGHLY appreciate for my silly, indecisive mind!

Thanks!

IMO you'd be better off with the 85 1.8 and 24-70 2.8. You could get both of those for cheaper than just the 85 1.2.

You certainly won't go wrong buying the 85mm 1.8.

IMO you'd be better off with the 85 1.8 and 24-70 2.8. You could get both of those for cheaper than just the 85 1.2.

You certainly won't go wrong buying the 85mm 1.8.

Just what I wanted to hear - thanks! I was like, "What is so special about the 1.2." I know it's "L" glass, but sheesh. Especially since the 1.8 is so much cheaper.

I figure I'll get the wide angle 10-22 and the 85 1.8 then wait till I get my tax return to get the 24-70 :sexywink:

Gotta love all these decisions!

I have the Canon 10-22mm....great lens, no worries there.

But I'd also like to get a great portrait lens and wondered what REALLY is the difference between the Canon 85 mm 1.8 and the 1.2? I see the 1.2 is about $1,700 while the 1.8 is about $400 - what gives?
Well, F1.2 is a full stop larger than F1.8 so you can get faster shutter speeds when you need it. The DOF is razor thin at F1.2...if that is something you want/need.
The F1.2 is an L lens (top quality build & image quality)...and an ultra wide aperture lens...so that together is why it's so expensive.
It is worth the extra price over the F1.8? I can't answer that but I would say...probably not. The 85mm F1.8 is a pretty good lens in it's own right and is a great lens for the price.
It looks cool though, the aperture is so wide, the lens looks like a coffee cup.

The 24-70 F2.8 L, is a work horse lens...especially for full frame or film users. It's a bit of an odd length on a crop body though. I'd had always heard good things about this lens...but recently I've heard some bad things. Apparently, many of them don't focus accurately. I know a wedding photographer who has owned 6 different copies of this lens. He much prefers the 17-55 F2.8 IS.

I have the Canon 10-22mm....great lens, no worries there.

Well, F1.2 is a full stop larger than F1.8 so you can get faster shutter speeds when you need it. The DOF is razor thin at F1.2...if that is something you want/need.
The F1.2 is an L lens (top quality build & image quality)...and an ultra wide aperture lens...so that together is why it's so expensive.
It is worth the extra price over the F1.8? I can't answer that but I would say...probably not. The 85mm F1.8 is a pretty good lens in it's own right and is a great lens for the price.
It looks cool though, the aperture is so wide, the lens looks like a coffee cup.

The 24-70 F2.8 L, is a work horse lens...especially for full frame or film users. It's a bit of an odd length on a crop body though. I'd had always heard good things about this lens...but recently I've heard some bad things. Apparently, many of them don't focus accurately. I know a wedding photographer who has owned 6 different copies of this lens. He much prefers the 17-55 F2.8 IS.

Thanks again Mike!

So I guess it's the 85 mm 1.8 and the 10-22 - woo hoo! Finally made a decision!

I've heard some varying opinions as well about the 24-70 - plus I already have a Tamron 17-55 - so I was thinking I could hold off on that one and think a little more on it and ask around. I'm not totally sure about that one yet - maybe I'll rent it first.

I figure if I get the 85mm 1.8 and really LOVE it to DEATH, I can always sell it and use that money toward a 1.2. But I think a 1.8 may be worth the $400 to try it out and see where it gets me.

Thanks for your suggestions, always appreciated!

why not rent the 1.8 and the 1.2 and see ,I know once you use the 1.2 you'll never get the 1.8 ,get the sigma 10-20 and put the saved money into the 1.2

Most reactions

New Topics

Back