Another lens suggestion thread lol

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by TylerF, Jan 16, 2010.

1. TylerF

TylerF TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hi everyone, I have a nikon d40 with the kit lens. Last night I shot a concert and felt a little limited by the lens. I plan on shooting live concerts in low light. I also want to shoot portraits as well.

I'm a little tight on cash (400ish) and have been thinking of:
    35mm
    50mm
    or something with a good range
    I need it to be pretty fast for the concerts

sorry for the noobness of this post. Thanks in advance

2. Joshua907

Joshua907 TPF Noob!

Nikon Camera Lenses

Here is a link to all the Nikon lenses. I have been lookin at the 35mm f/1.8G($210), and also the Tokina AT-X 35mm f/2.8 pro dx macro($349). A little more spendy is the Sigma 20mm f/1.8 EX Asperical DG DF RF, which has a 94 degree angle of view(AOV) and is $519. All prices i found at Adorama.com. The Nikkor 24mm is $370, and the 28mm is $276, both are f/2.8.

I'm looking to be doin the same thing, so these are the ones ive been looking at. I also have looked at the wide zooms, but then your getting up in the $500-$2000+ range, and the lower end ones, some, didnt have very good reviews i thought for the money your spending.

I personally think i am going to go with the Nikkor 35mm f/1.8 or the 28mm f/2.8.

3. Darkhunter139

Darkhunter139 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    If 35mm is long enough for you then id go for the 35mm F/1.8 AF-S lens for $199. It would probably be nice to have something with a little more zoom to it for concerts though right?

4. AlexColeman

AlexColeman TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Nikon 85 1.8 if you can swing it.

5. Joshua907

Joshua907 TPF Noob!

I guess it depends on the concert your shooting. All these i listed above are more suitable for small venues/bars/clubs. Id recommend getting a good flash, ie a SB400/600, and use your kit lens if your in a larger venue where youll have more stagelights, ect to help you.

6. TylerF

TylerF TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thanks, I have a sb600. Most of the shows I will be able to get right up near the stage (was on it last night) haha. But for bigger bands, I will probably be made to stay back unless I make some connections lol.

The nikkor 35mm 1.8 looks like a good choice. But I might need something a little wider. A guy last night was using something like a 17-200. Not 100% sure what it was. He was using a d700 I think. Ugh this lens stuff is confusing. I just want it all haha