Another Lense Question >>> Rebel 2000 to Canon 20D

amospro

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.amospro.com
I bought a Canon 20D body only since I already had a 35mm Rebel2000 with a lense. Is it true that the lense from a 35mm won't be as good for a digital SLR? ...or is that marketing hype? I read this in a book somewhere and can't seem to find the article again.

Depends on what lens you have on your SLR.

I'm sure that if you have a 35mm f/1.4 L, it's gonna be just as good on the on the 20D as it is on SLR.

What lens is it? Usually, the consumer lens do not cut it in terms of sharpness/contrast for digitals, because you're actually viewing at 100% magnification.

Cheers

I have lenses that came with my 3000v and use them on my 20D without problems.. the only thing you need to be aware of is the magnification that arises from the 20D not having a full frame sensor... This will bump up the zoom of your lenses by X1.6 which makes my 300mm actually a 480... which gets crazy when I don't have my tripod with me.

The lens will be just as good on a digital as it will on your film EOS camera. The difference is the field of view crop factor. As mentioned, the factor is 1.6. It's not really a magnification, but a cropped view. The digital only sees the middle of the image that the lens sees. They do have new EF-S lenses that are made specifically for the 1.6 crop factor cameras. They are no better optically but they do let you see a wide angle.

The only other issue (that I can think of) that you may have read about it anti-reflective coating. With a digital sensor & older lenses, some light may reflect off of the sensor and then back off the rear element of the lens, causing some funny effects on the image. Newer/better lenses may have not have this problem. However, I have never heard that this has caused anyone any problems.

If anything, the lenses will appear better on your digital SLR because you aren't seeing all the way to the edges. The images will seem sharper from edge to ege.

Most reactions

Back