Another New Camera Buyer

Mouldy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I would like some opinions on a near future purchase and the ideology behind it. Here we go....

Experience: I've had two semester classes in dslr. They were both basic classes mostly working with composition, exposure, etc. and how to work with CS3. I have free access to CS3 on campus and would like to utilize it.

What I like to shoot: Landscapes, Rock Climbing, Wild animals (deer, waterfowl, etc), Candids

I've been looking to get a dslr for a year now, but the moola just never was there and I've been waiting for prices to drop on some 10+ MP cameras.

Well I just sold my snowmobile and prices seem to be about right. The D60 at Soniccameras.com is down to $340 :thumbup: for the body. That seems to be right in my price range and a camera that seems to fit my needs for the most part. (Other suggestions welcome)

Glass is where i'm a noob at. We didn't talk a lick about it. We only got to use a 18-55mm and 70-200mm in my classes, so i dont have the experience with all the different types and kinds out there.

What lenses would best fit me considering I have only about $800 to spend total.

I want something cheap to start out with to get more experience and I will upgrade later. I'm sick of waiting around to buy a camera when i could be out there honing my skills. I don't care much about fantastic picture quality right now as much as I am on working on my skills. (Opinions on this also welcome)

P.S. Also would be happy to get a camera so my mom stops getting me DISPOSABLE camera's for christmas. Just thought you'd like to have a good laugh. :lmao:

Okay, had to get that first post up quick before you went and did something silly. :eek:)

My opinion on this may be a little different than some others... I'd suggest that you look at the Olympus e-500 or e-510. Both are great cameras, feature laden, and available with a two-lens kit. The kit lenses, while still kit lenses, are a great start for most people. Zuiko has been known for their phenomenal glass for a long time, and that tradition continues...

My experience is with Oly and Nikon. We shoot both through our studio... Especially at the entry level, I prefer what Oly is offering.

Oly uses the 4/3rds sensor - so the 35mm equivalent of the 150mm is 300mm. The downside is that Oly has struggled more with high ISO noise - although they've made huge improvements.

You can also watch for varying kits. Some have lightly different lenses than others. They've offered 14-45, 14-17.5, 14-42 as well as two versions of the 40-150. So, different kits are around... some are faster than others, too.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back