Another newbie here...

Discussion in 'Critique Forum Archives' started by albo, May 12, 2005.

1. albo

albo TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hi all, I'm a bit of a new-comer to photography... Here is what I think of as one of the few decent ones I've take so far. I cropped out a load of sky...

[​IMG]

2. KevinR

KevinR TPF Noob!

I'm not a big fan of cropping after the fact, but I think if you crop the bottom up past the elec. wires, you would have pretty strong picture. You could also lose some off the right side too. The tree is real interesting and I think it was a good attempt.

3. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Welcome to the forum.

I usually like to step back and then crop after the fact...and I shoot with film. If you have ever made a 5x7 or 8x10 print, you know that you have to crop...so cropping is a natural step to me.

This is a nice photo, if I were to offer any critique, I'd suggest cropping the bottom just a bit to eliminate the railing or whatever that is at the very bottom. Not as high as the power lines but maybe those could be cloned out...although they are not too distracting.

One more thing, I'd like to see the tree just a little more off-center.

4. Meysha

Meysha still being picky Vicky

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Welcome to the Forum!!

I agree with everything Big Mike said. especially about the tree being a little bit more off center. Also for next time, it's a little bit grainy (that might be the jpeg compression) but consider using a finer film/lower ASA.
    Keep up the good work!