Another newbie on TPF

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by flyin-lowe, Jan 5, 2009.

1. flyin-lowe

flyin-lowe TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hello all,
    I will start by saying that I know absolutely nothing about photography. My father in law is in about his 2nd or third year and I was talking to him about breaking down and buying a decent camera as I have a 2nd child on the way, and I live near a large state park with all kinds or wilderness and wildlife near by. He told me that he bought a new Canon 40D (I think) and that he would sell me his XTi. He said he would throw in a 18-55(again I think) and all his extras (bag, external battery, 3 or 4 memory cards and some other stuff) for $500.00. He told me he had close to $1000.00 in all and was asking 500 without the lens but since it was me he would give me one of his lenses. I know this is a lot of camera for a rookie but I figure its better to do that then spend 2-3 hundred on a standard digital camera. I know the camera is only about a year or so old and he takes very good care of it. Is this a great deal or about what I would expect to find. I have looked around on Ebay and some other shop sites and this seems to be about the going rate for a refurb with a lense and thats about it. I don't plan on becoming a pro photographer but you proabably know by the fact I am on here that I am interested in learining a little and seeing where the hobby takes me.
    Thanks in advance.

2. Samanax

Samanax TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Sounds like a good deal, especially since you know it was well taken care of.

3. TJ K

TJ K No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Ya that's not too bad but if you don't really need the bag and extra's you can get the same camera brand new on amazon for 530 with the same lens. But if it is in great condition and isn't beat up and isn't doesn't have a very high shutter count it could possibly be a good deal. Just make sure to look at all of your options.

4. flyin-lowe

flyin-lowe TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    What would be considered a high shutter count on this camera? I know when we go on vacation its not uncommon for him to take a couple hundred pics in a day but that is not that often. The rest of the time its hit and miss but he doesn't have a studio or anything where he is using it 24/7.

5. TJ K

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Then it shouldn't be a problem but if he had like in the high 5 digits or something than it's more likely to have to replace the shutter faster. But most likely it's fine a few hundred here and there isn't bad at all.

6. Bailey

Bailey TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    That is a great deal! If I were you I would take him up on it.
    You will find that photographic equipment can be very costly.

Photography will take you many places if you have the passion for it.

7. TJ K

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Yes but look at the deal for a brand new one and same lens without those extras for 30 dollars more so you have too consider if you need the extras things and how well the camera has been kept.

8. flyin-lowe

flyin-lowe TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Ive been doing some research on line today and as normal have more questions then answers. I have been reading some reviews and would like some opinions on the XS model. I have found I can get a brand new one which comes with an 18-55 IS lens for around $470.00 from amazon. As I mentioned being a rookie and this just being a hobby I think I would be better off to get a brand new XS then the used XTI. What do you guys think. The only thing I think I would need to get going with the new XS was some memory. I don't think it came with a memory card but I might be wrong.

9. Samanax

Samanax TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Given the choice, I would want a new camera instead of a used one too.
    The Canon DSLR kits don't come with a memory card, you'll have to buy that separately. SD memory cards are pretty cheap.

10. flyin-lowe

flyin-lowe TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I found this on Adorama's web site. For $499.00 new not refurbed. Is there a difference between the black and silver other then preference. They have the same in black however its sold out/back order. About $35 more you can get memory and a few other goodies. This is what I was going to be paying for a used XTI with one lense and some extras.
    Canon Digital Rebel XS SLR "Silver" 2 Lens Kit with EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 Image Stabilizer Lens & EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 III Lens

11. TJ K

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Ya if you aren't really looking to do anything more in photography then just play around as a hobby go with the new camera. I would recommend a transcend memory card because they are plenty cheap and have tons of memory. 16gb for 32 dollars=amazing

GL with your purchase.

12. TJ K

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Well I personally don't like the silver and you can possibly find the same deal but in black on amazon not sure though. And the 75-300mm is not stabilized meaning if it isn't very bright out you will have slower shutter speeds and need a tripod so it's up to you. My recommendation is just getting the xs and 18-55 and either saving your money for a stabilized telephoto or get whatever you want. Maybe get the kit and a tripod.