Another night outside

Discussion in 'Critique Forum Archives' started by Harpper, May 6, 2004.

1. Harpper

Harpper TPF Noob!

Here's a picture I took last night. Please let me know what you think about it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

original version
    [​IMG]

edited version 2
    [​IMG]

this one is for drdan
    [​IMG]

2. terri

terri Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    At first I was going to say: crop out some of that sky....but I don't know....the sky is quite staggeringly beautiful in this image. All whirling and wild.... I can't see anything I'd change, really.

Pat yourself on the back and feel happy. It's gorgeous! :D

3. Harpper

Harpper TPF Noob!

Thanks terri for the comment. The sky is pretty much what I liked about this picture so I was also hesitant to crop any of it out. I was also trying to make people look up by adding a lot of sky. I guess it worked for you. :wink: Lastly, I didn't want to divide the picture in half at the horizon with too much sky cropping so I wanted to see what people thought of this crop. Anyway, thanks for the comment. :D

4. vonnagy

vonnagy have kiwi, will travel...

Photos NOT OK to edit
    nice one harpper, great capture of the sky and smooth look to the water. whats your time exposure on this. One thing i've noticed about your shots is that you really earthtone colours quite beautifully.

5. Harpper

Harpper TPF Noob!

Thanks Mark. I appreciate the comment. The time exposure on this one was about 20 seconds. I was worried about getting hot pixels but lucky I didn't get any. :D

6. drdan

drdan TPF Noob!

I really like this and the longer I look at it the better I like it.

My first impression though is that it lacks the intensity to immediately draw you in. You might want to experiment with levels, brightness, contrast and/or color saturation some to see if you come up with anything you like any better. You probably don't want to change those great colors, just jazz it up slightly.

7. cypilk

cypilk TPF Noob!

wow..

enough said

8. Harpper

Harpper TPF Noob!

Thanks for your comments drdan & cypilk.

I was also thinking that the more I looked at it. It's funny how a picture can change when you study it longer. Anyway, I posted my edited version. Let me know what you guys think...

9. Jeff Canes

Jeff Canes No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Nice, I love the glassy look of the water, can’t see any differs in the two versions :scratch:

10. Harpper

Harpper TPF Noob!

It might be a Mac & PC thing because on my Mac the edited version is a lot brighter and I also added more definition in the clouds. I seriously need to check more of my pictures on a PC. So how many PC users actually see a difference?

11. terri

terri Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Oh, absolutely, there's a huge difference. I agree the colors are more intense. There's more drama in the sky. Nice edits. :D

12. drdan

drdan TPF Noob!

I'm on a PC and I can see a big difference also. It is definitely more intense and colorful. You have blown out some of the lights, especially the moon and I'm not sure that's good. I did like being able to see the shape of the moon through the clouds. I assume that why you didn't make it lighter in the original. I'm not a PS expert so I'm not sure what to tell you. Personally I think I'd like to see brightness more like the first with color balance slightly changed maybe and saturation a little more intense. I really like the moonlit sky in the first one.

Maybe it's like really being in the moonlight and you just have to let your eyes "adjust". :lol:

It really is a great picture.