Another Noob Looking for some C&C

Nate_Smith

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm into all kinds of photography but am just starting would like to share a little bit and get some C&C some of these shots i posted in other places but wanna get the experienced advice i see in this forum. Thanks guys be rough i've been lurking for a while so i know how it can get. thanks

vashonbw.jpg

edembeach1copy.jpg

cruzanbw.jpg

edemrun.jpg

i really like your style...the composition and detail are really good ..but then again i'm a fellow noob as well..ill let someone more experienced give their .02.

I really like #2 a lot. The composition and DOF are great. #1 is great too. # 3 looks busy for me but thats just personal opinion. #4 is is out of focus but the composition is great. Keep up the good work.

I'll put my most humble opinion in...

#1. Focus and Depth of Field are my main issues. There is nothing focused on to draw attention to. I am going to assume that the main object here is the pillars in the water. That being said I would have shot this from a different angle with the water as the background to them rather than the other shore line. They are getting lost in the background. Also I would have cropped out quit a bit of the top and left of the shot. Cropping as alot of people will tell you is as much an individual expression and style as any part of photography so take that cropping advice with a grain of salt. But to me there is just way to much in the shot. Could also be lighter.

#2. First off I love this shot. Best of the group imo. However, There is a slight focus issue. This could probably be taken care of in PS or whatever you are using for your PP. Again I would like to see it lighter. Good things about this are your crop and point of view. I love how the driftwood leads from the kid to the background. Some may not like the pavillion or whatever the building is in the background, but I don't think it is to much of a distraction to worry about.

#3. Again to dark, the sign on the left side is alittle distracting, ans well as the partial banner on the right side. Might try cropping out the banner to just read "Farm" so that it's not like we are missing something. Overall just nothing there to say "Wow!" about.

#4. Another nice shot...still alittle out of focus and dark. I would clone out the trashcan or what ever that is beside the kid.

All these are to dark for my taste. It may just be how you are converting to B/W or it may be what you were going for, I just think lighter would be better.

I hope you don't mind but I did an edit for example...
Your original post
edembeach1original.jpg

A quik 1 minute edit...
edembeach1edit.jpg

Photoshop CS3
Level Adjustment 6/0.91/201
Unsharp Mask 196/1.0/4
Gradient Tool-Colorburn @ 10% opacity
Crop

Not saying my quik edit is a prize winning job, but just to show the difference in lightness and focus.
Keep up the good work. Hope to see more of your stuff soon.

I like the edit. But I think the shoe is a bit overexposed, but you can mask that. Great shots!

I also did some quick play on the first photo, hope you don't mind:
Original:
vashonbw.jpg

Edit:
2965692739_2f01f76665_o.jpg

Last edited:
Well what I first noticed: the horizon lines in 1 and 4 are a wee bit off, but that's nothing a little rotation and cropping can't take care of. 2 is uber cute, but maybe a little washed out looking, could do with a touch of contrast and the tones more pronounced I think. 3 is great, has a real "film" look about it, nothing really to criticize, although some may not "get" it. Why this is I don't know, as photos are merely a medium to capture and present the beauty that was before you at the given time, so "getting" it shouln't need to be factored in. 4 is great, but could be better (in my opinion) if that box or whatever it is to the left was not there.

Overall, great shots, especially given that you're new to this. Props to you!

sorry i havent been on in a while busy working thanks for the c&c i might do some cropping cloning keep improving thanks again it helps me know what to improve on

Most reactions

Back