Another of my hubby...CC por favor

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by aliciaqw, Mar 30, 2010.

1. aliciaqw

aliciaqw TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    See, I told you he's a good sport :)

I was happy to get focus on his face, since that's the problem I've been having. But what about the settings? I think this was done in Av mode... Was my DOF too shallow? Composition? All CC appreciated and welcome. I can take it all pretty much-- just no doggin' my man...haha. Thanks!

2.8, 1/1000, ISO 100
    [​IMG]

2. LoveAlwaysJami

LoveAlwaysJami TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Wow... Lucky Lucky girl :) I think the lighting is great.. contrast is good.. colors are wonderful. Great photo.

3. ajkramer87

ajkramer87 TPF Noob!

I'm not that great with composition yet but It seems like there is a lot of dead space on the left of the photo. A tighter crop might be better but like I said I'm not that great with composition.

4. myfotoguy

myfotoguy TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I think the composition and focus, DOF are great. I would personally try shallower DOF if your lens allows to blur the background a bit more. But, don't get me wrong, this looks good.

I'm at a bad monitor at work right now, on my lunch break! ;) So not sure about the exposure. It seems good, but the background looks a hint bright to me. But, like I said, this monitor is terrible.

Really, those are just minor, minor things, I like how it turned out.

5. aliciaqw

aliciaqw TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks everyone.

Yeah, there does seem to be a lot of space on the left. I could try cropping it. Also, I used the 50mm 1.4 so I could have gone even more shallow but was worried about losing focus and having soft edges...does that make any sense at all? LOL...

6. Live_free

Live_free TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Well I like the DOF as it shows the background which is a farm atmosphere which in my mind completes the picture. I HATE the bush/tree thing in the left that pretty much ruins the picture in my mind.

7. aliciaqw

aliciaqw TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Haha, yeah...the bush. I was going to cut it down, but forgot the ax. Does it really RUIN the picture? Maybe we'll try this picture again tomorrow a little further down the fence or in another field.

8. Live_free

Live_free TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Yes because it draws away the viewer form the main subject, it interrupts the sky and it is just ugly. The main subject should draw the eye, my eyes always seem o be going back to the bush.

9. aliciaqw

aliciaqw TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I guess that's something I'll need to pay attention to next time. As a beginner, I think I tend to focus on my subject and not examine the rest of the frame too much. I mean, I definitely considered what else was in the photo, but I didn't go past that and think of what could possibly be distracting, etc. Thanks for the CC!

10. timfrommass

timfrommass TPF Noob!

I like the shot with the bush. Great focus on the main subject, and I love the lighting. His pose makes him look like a classic movie cowboy, but the tats give it a fresh edge.

To me the bush helps tell the story of the landscape and the farm. As a matter of fact I wouldn't have minded seeing this shot with an aperture of like F18-20 to get the whole landscape in focus. I know your husband is the subject, but the whole scene kind of tells a particular story ya know?

-tim

11. tertius

tertius TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Pretty much exactly what I was thinking. Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson?

12. KmH

KmH Helping photographers learn to fish Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Next time, try turning the camera 90 degrees to "portrait orientation" with the long side being vertical.