Another of my hubby...CC por favor

aliciaqw

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
See, I told you he's a good sport :)

I was happy to get focus on his face, since that's the problem I've been having. But what about the settings? I think this was done in Av mode... Was my DOF too shallow? Composition? All CC appreciated and welcome. I can take it all pretty much-- just no doggin' my man...haha. Thanks!

2.8, 1/1000, ISO 100
o6jwwo.jpg

Wow... Lucky Lucky girl :) I think the lighting is great.. contrast is good.. colors are wonderful. Great photo.

I'm not that great with composition yet but It seems like there is a lot of dead space on the left of the photo. A tighter crop might be better but like I said I'm not that great with composition.

I think the composition and focus, DOF are great. I would personally try shallower DOF if your lens allows to blur the background a bit more. But, don't get me wrong, this looks good.

I'm at a bad monitor at work right now, on my lunch break! ;) So not sure about the exposure. It seems good, but the background looks a hint bright to me. But, like I said, this monitor is terrible.

Really, those are just minor, minor things, I like how it turned out.

Thanks everyone.

Yeah, there does seem to be a lot of space on the left. I could try cropping it. Also, I used the 50mm 1.4 so I could have gone even more shallow but was worried about losing focus and having soft edges...does that make any sense at all? LOL...

Well I like the DOF as it shows the background which is a farm atmosphere which in my mind completes the picture. I HATE the bush/tree thing in the left that pretty much ruins the picture in my mind.

Well I like the DOF as it shows the background which is a farm atmosphere which in my mind completes the picture. I HATE the bush/tree thing in the left that pretty much ruins the picture in my mind.

Haha, yeah...the bush. I was going to cut it down, but forgot the ax. Does it really RUIN the picture? Maybe we'll try this picture again tomorrow a little further down the fence or in another field.

Haha, yeah...the bush. I was going to cut it down, but forgot the ax. Does it really RUIN the picture? Maybe we'll try this picture again tomorrow a little further down the fence or in another field.

Yes because it draws away the viewer form the main subject, it interrupts the sky and it is just ugly. The main subject should draw the eye, my eyes always seem o be going back to the bush.

Yes because it draws away the viewer form the main subject, it interrupts the sky and it is just ugly. The main subject should draw the eye, my eyes always seem o be going back to the bush.

I guess that's something I'll need to pay attention to next time. As a beginner, I think I tend to focus on my subject and not examine the rest of the frame too much. I mean, I definitely considered what else was in the photo, but I didn't go past that and think of what could possibly be distracting, etc. Thanks for the CC!

I like the shot with the bush. Great focus on the main subject, and I love the lighting. His pose makes him look like a classic movie cowboy, but the tats give it a fresh edge.

To me the bush helps tell the story of the landscape and the farm. As a matter of fact I wouldn't have minded seeing this shot with an aperture of like F18-20 to get the whole landscape in focus. I know your husband is the subject, but the whole scene kind of tells a particular story ya know?

-tim

I like the shot with the bush. Great focus on the main subject, and I love the lighting. His pose makes him look like a classic movie cowboy, but the tats give it a fresh edge.

To me the bush helps tell the story of the landscape and the farm. As a matter of fact I wouldn't have minded seeing this shot with an aperture of like F18-20 to get the whole landscape in focus. I know your husband is the subject, but the whole scene kind of tells a particular story ya know?

-tim

Pretty much exactly what I was thinking. Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson?

Next time, try turning the camera 90 degrees to "portrait orientation" with the long side being vertical.

Next time, try turning the camera 90 degrees to "portrait orientation" with the long side being vertical.

I took a few of him in portrait orientation as well. Why do you suggest that? Thanks :)

Yeah, just compose the shot better next time. Everything in the foreground works; it's all the junk in the background that ruins this for me. The horizon slopes, and the tree competes for attention even though it's out of focus. Try turning your camera vertically for the shot, and next time compose the background first. I think if you had a background and foreground subject that complemented each other and worked together, you could use something like f/8 or f/11 to give the picture a sense of time and place. You couldn't do that successfully with this picture, though, because the detail on the horizon is on the same level as his head and it would compete for attention.

Most reactions

Back