Another one bites the dust

Christie Photo

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.christiephoto.com
I called my lab today (R 'n' R Colour) to check on an order, and they tell me they're gonna wrap things up at the end of the year.

The owner told me that EIGHT customers... that's eight studios.... that use him closed this year.

I gotta tell ya... I'm beginning to wonder what's in MY immediate future.

Does anybody else see this going on in your market area?

-Pete

That does sound pretty ominous.

I can see where there is a tight squeeze on photographers these days, especially in the US.

As digital cameras seem to get 'smarter', Jane & Joe public are less inclined to hire a professional photographer or maybe they hire their uncle Bob instead...because he has an 'expensive' camera. Then of course, the economy isn't helping.

With the costs associated with maintaining a studio, I can see that it would be hard.

Hopefully this is an opportunity for the cream to 'rise to the top' and pickup the clients that were still hiring, from those who are closing up.

Do you know if they are getting out of the business or just closing the studio and maybe working from home? Are you friends with any of then? Maybe you could contact them and see if they are willing to share or sell their client lists.

Its happening all over the place - in the UK its even worse as current laws and such make it very hard to start up your own business - overhead rates on shops are way too much, legal side is far from simple and there are lost of tax factors too. End result is that independent business is not activly encouraged.
Combine this with online shops which have tiny overheads (as compared to highstreet shops) and thus can undercut the highstreet dramatically and you have a recipy for reduced number of many types of services and a centralization of them

Add all that to the current economic climate and I think the tale you tell will be one of very very many until things turn around again.

Do you know if they are getting out of the business or just closing the studio and maybe working from home?

I took him to mean they are closing... leaving him without orders. I don't know who they are or how close they are to me. It's likely they're too far off to get any of the work.

There is one studio here in my area that's wrapping things up after two generations and will be doing some stuff from home. He's the best portrait studio in the county... and further. He is a friend and offered to send larger jobs my way.

I guess it's mainly down to photographers with large studio space in nice areas etc that are feeling it most with high rent and tax to pay.

I've had a look locally for commercial space but really couldn't commit, too costly. Saying that though there are some places locally which can be had rent free for a year to new businesses, mainly to try regenerate the area I think.

If you can stick in there and keep on top of everything until things get better you'd be in a stronger position when that time comes - easier said than done though.

It's a shame to see some of the family businesses that have been in town forever and a day close up :( All the photographers in my town (3 of them) are still open for business though.

When people are tightening their belts photography is one of the first casualties as its considered a luxury, I was on the verge of a new studio 6 months back but have held off and am glad I did, I'm also turning down work I dont feel is worthwhile and will ride this recession out before putting more cash into the business as I think it the wisest choice in the present climate. H

The economy is in a bad spot right now in the US, and across the World for that matter. I was watching 60minutes last night and they were talking about another "wave" of the adjustable mortgages that are going to "reset" to the higher intrest rates next year. They say that the number of adjustable loans still left to reset next year is 1.5 Trillion dollars worth. It doesn't look like it's getting better anytime soon.

It is definitely a nation wide thing. There is now one real print shop by me and it is also the only place that can process anything other than C41. The ONLY real camera shop in town doesn't carry sheet film!

Most reactions

Back