Another portrait (4 versions)

LaFoto

Just Corinna in real life
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
This is not a candid portrait. This one shows you my god-son on his confirmation day, and his mother (who happens to be my best friend) had asked me on the spur of the moment if I could take some photos of her son for the Thank-You-Cards.

So although this was a "planned portrait shoot", there was NO equipment there, of course, other than my cameras. I took many more than these four, whole body pics as well, digitally and on film, and what I am showing you here are scans from prints - and all I can tell is that I used the on-camera flash to fill in and give his eyes some reflection ... I forgot about all the other settings, though.

What critique do you have - also the professional portrait photographers! - and what will I have to watch in the future (in which my equipment will NOT grow by anything, I'm afraid)...

Film_Portrait1_quer_wsz.jpg

(not the regular portrait style, horizontal pic, though I personally like this better than the upright portrait photos)

Film_Portrait3_hoch_wsz.jpg

Film_Portrait4_hoch_wsz.jpg

Film_Portrait6_hoch_wsz.jpg

I like number 4. The portrait orientation just wins with me. I also like the more serious look which seems to go along well with the confirmation. But you still capture a certain boyishness, probably because of the slightly tossled hair.

Bryant

Nice work, Corinna!

The pose on the last is the strongest. He appears to be leaning backward a bit on the first three. Maybe you can rotate these a bit to offset that feeling.

The background is a great success. Good ratio of light from subject to background.

I want to back up just a bit so the lines of his lapels can resolve.

And, as usuall, I advise just a bit of retouching... softening the shadows under the eyes.

The overall lighting is a bit flat. When I'm faced with this, I look for some dense leaves to block the overhead light, leaving the light from the side as my "main light."

A bit of vignetting will help too, either while shooting or in Photoshop.

Good choice of focal legnth. Nice range of expressions.

-Pete

Oh, I love the fourth. What a wonderful expression. You've done a nice job with blurring out the back too. The eyes seemed a little soft on the first few, but that could have just been his eyeglasses and the angle with which he was facing. The fourth one rocks!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back