Another question about online courses

neea

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey everyone,

I imagine this question comes around quite often but I'm sure most of it is about New York Institute.

I just found this one today from Better Photo http://www.betterphoto.com/online-photography-courses.asp

They run about 3-8 weeks or so and the one I was looking at runs just over $300 US for 8 weeks.
It's cheaper than NYI, until you've got 3 or more under your belt.
This one seems more appealing because you can pick specific areas. The one I'm most interested in is 'Developing your creative artistic vision'. I already have this vision in my head... I just cant put it on film how I want to.

The requirements are to have a telephoto lens which I'd have to get. And I imagine a digital camera would make things WAY easier and quicker, although digital is not a requirement.

Has anyone ever tried these? The site looks a bit more professional than NYI. I'd really hate to get ripped off all that money (especially when it could go towards more toys).

Thanx guys.

I have no idea from online classes and tutorials. Have to say that the local comunity college or arts center could provide something right up your alley. I feel that it is extremely important to be around other students and present prints or whatever as opposed to "virual" interaction. Photography (digi or film) goes way beyond a dumb ol' computer. Even if you live in a rural area ten bucks says that you will be able to find a "live" course with some or a lot of effort.

Thanx for your idea.
However, I'd bet you $20 that anything 'locally' would be for major major beginners. Just like most computer courses I've taken I'd probably know more than the teacher and spend most of my time helping the other students.
The closest I'd probably find around here is 2 hours away and I could definatley not make that trip once a week or more.
Also, I dont learn in classrooms. I learn by reading and doing things on my own at my own pace. Which is why an online course seems appealing.

The only photography courses I've ever taken were film classes in high school. I can't wait to get my hands on a photography course at a local college, just because I miss working in a darkroom so much. I'd suggest trying to get into a local place just for the hands-on aspect. I don't know if you've developed film and prints before, but there's something completely untouchable by digital about being able to burn & dodge, and even solarize just using darkroom techniques. I loved every minute of the three years I spent in a dark room and I can't wait to have access to one again.

If you can, take an opportunity to do something with film. <3

Film is where my heart is!!! For the most part. I'm in a rut right now because I have over a years worth of pictures undeveloped and cant really justify taking new pictures when I haven't seen the results of ones I've taken so far. Plus.. they'd just pile up and pile up and get heavier on my shoulders.
My ultimate dream is to have my own darkroom and develop all my own pictures.. but for now it's just a dream until I have the space and money to fulfill it.

For the moment digital would serve as a learning tool. Being able to see right away that a picture was too dark or totally blown out instead of waiting a year and going 'What on earth was I doing? Why did that happen? What were my settings?':er:

Once I know how and why things work they way they do I will transfer that knowledge back over to the film world where I can then make better decisions about my settings.

One of my favorite movies is 'Step mom' with Julia Roberts. Not only because she's great but she's a photographer. My fav scenes are when she's in the darkroom and the images slowly appear on the paper:heart:
Something about this.. I dont know.

I never had the luxury of taking photography in high school because I was 'homeschooled' (meaning.. spent more time on the internet) for most of it.

Wow, I can't imagine having such a backlog of undeveloped film, just because I go crazy when I have 3-4 rolls waiting around for longer than a week! Have you considered mailing them to a pro lab that does b&w. I don't know about your options in Canada, but in the states, one can get film developed and proof prints for about $10usd. I'm considering doing this now, (even though I only have a few rolls!) just to see what I have, then go to the darkroom and make fine prints later. It's just that right now, it's more worth my time to spend the $10 than spend hours in the darkroom, with darkroom fees on top.

If your local college has a darkroom, they might let you use it for a small fee, even if you're not taking classes there. I use a community darkroom, that fortunately for me, only two or three other people in my area seem to know about.:)

I ran a quick google search and found this on the first page:

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=259804

Betterphoto seems reputable enough, and it sounds like you're comfortable with online learning, so why not?

I was considering this one:

http://www.academyart.edu/index2.asp?IT=PMRGHR&TCMP=KAC-aau1&lid=gs4030&

Because it's possible to earn your entire art degree online. But, alas, the price is prohibitive, and if I ever wanted to take a class on campus, I'd have to move three thousand miles away.

Most of my film is color that needs to be developed.
It's piles up because I can't afford it and then when I can I tell myself that the money would be better spent somewhere else (of course). Also.. once it's all developed I'd have to rent a storage space for the boxes of pictures I'd probably never use (I NEVER throw pictures away). I also like to ge them on discs and that starts to add onto the price too.

One day they'll get developed.. One Day!

I should look for a place that will develop my color film online. However.. the cost of shipping and stuff might not be worth it.

The courses on Better Photo are the ones I was most interested in. They're short (4 or 8 weeks) reasonably priced and I can do which ever ones I want when ever I want and space out the learning so I have time to absorb it.

Have you thought about getting a part time job at a one-hour photo place? From what I hear, those people get their developing and stuff done free, or they might just have to pay for prints.

once it's all developed I'd have to rent a storage space for the boxes of pictures I'd probably never use (I NEVER throw pictures away).

I have the same problem! Right now they are sitting in stacks inside a rolltop desk that is rendered useless by them. I bought a couple albums, but I get frustrated every time I try to organize them. I thought about just putting the best ones in albums (which I prefer to boxes) but I can't stand to leave any out.

Let us know what you think of Betterphoto, if you decide to take classes there.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back