Another RAW thread

Ptyler22

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.harvardpress.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Ok, so I know most people say shoot RAW all the time, but my question is, when do you start seeing the benefits of RAW versus JPEG, is it at a 30 inch print? or is it in colors and such?

Also I have another random question, how big a print can I make at close to "perfect" quality from a 40D?

Thanks

The benefits of RAW don't relate to the size of the final image, but rather the information contained within the image, which allows you a much greater degree of flexibility in post-processing as well as much more subtle variations in shades of colour, dynamic range, etc.

With a high-quality .jpg image, you can do a lot of post processing without a doubt, but in RAW, the freedom is exponential. An area which is in deep shadow may be successfully adjusted in RAW such that you have easily distinguishable detail where you would not have had with a .jpg.

With respect to your second question, assuming by "perfect" you mean photo-quality, low noise, (and I know many others will disagree with me on this) allowing for some cropping, straightening, etc, an 8x10 is about right, maybe an 11x14.

I see my differences with everything from a 4x6 on up. I shoot with a standard settings on many things like contrast, sharpening, color mode....etc..... When I want to change those depending on the type of picture, I can do so on the RAW after the fact whereas I can't do everything on a Jpg with the same quality.

For example I shoot everything in Color Mode IIIa, but when shooting people indoors I perfer Ia. I never remember to change this in camera so shooting raw allows me to do so later. Same goes with making exposure adjustments or D-lighting.

Also I have another random question, how big a print can I make at close to "perfect" quality from a 40D?
Billboard, or maybe the side of a building....

You can print as large as you want. The quality will obviously get worse, the larger you go...but once you consider the proper 'viewing distance' a large print will probably look OK.

Plus there are tricky, sneaky ways of scaling the image up digitally to twice the size without losing hardly any quality, if you know what you're doing in Photoshop. :D

Ok, so I know most people say shoot RAW all the time, but my question is, when do you start seeing the benefits of RAW versus JPEG, is it at a 30 inch print? or is it in colors and such?

Thanks

Everytime I reach for the white balance slider in Lightroom is see the advange.
Also time I bump the exposure up or down in Lightroom, or every time I open curves in photoshop again the advantage comes out.

All this is size unrealted

RAW= versatility. If you shoot jpeg you lose alot of that. But there are some who think it is viceversa.

Most reactions

Back