Another RAW thread

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Ptyler22, Jul 25, 2008.

1. Ptyler22

Ptyler22 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Ok, so I know most people say shoot RAW all the time, but my question is, when do you start seeing the benefits of RAW versus JPEG, is it at a 30 inch print? or is it in colors and such?

Also I have another random question, how big a print can I make at close to "perfect" quality from a 40D?

Thanks

2. tirediron

tirediron Watch the Birdy! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    The benefits of RAW don't relate to the size of the final image, but rather the information contained within the image, which allows you a much greater degree of flexibility in post-processing as well as much more subtle variations in shades of colour, dynamic range, etc.

With a high-quality .jpg image, you can do a lot of post processing without a doubt, but in RAW, the freedom is exponential. An area which is in deep shadow may be successfully adjusted in RAW such that you have easily distinguishable detail where you would not have had with a .jpg.

With respect to your second question, assuming by "perfect" you mean photo-quality, low noise, (and I know many others will disagree with me on this) allowing for some cropping, straightening, etc, an 8x10 is about right, maybe an 11x14.

3. NateS

NateS TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I see my differences with everything from a 4x6 on up. I shoot with a standard settings on many things like contrast, sharpening, color mode....etc..... When I want to change those depending on the type of picture, I can do so on the RAW after the fact whereas I can't do everything on a Jpg with the same quality.

For example I shoot everything in Color Mode IIIa, but when shooting people indoors I perfer Ia. I never remember to change this in camera so shooting raw allows me to do so later. Same goes with making exposure adjustments or D-lighting.

4. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Billboard, or maybe the side of a building....

You can print as large as you want. The quality will obviously get worse, the larger you go...but once you consider the proper 'viewing distance' a large print will probably look OK.

5. Copacetic

Copacetic TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Plus there are tricky, sneaky ways of scaling the image up digitally to twice the size without losing hardly any quality, if you know what you're doing in Photoshop. :D

6. Garbz

Garbz No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Everytime I reach for the white balance slider in Lightroom is see the advange.
    Also time I bump the exposure up or down in Lightroom, or every time I open curves in photoshop again the advantage comes out.

All this is size unrealted

7. Joves

Joves No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    RAW= versatility. If you shoot jpeg you lose alot of that. But there are some who think it is viceversa.