Another self portrait C&C

julia4480

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
It's from the same series I shot last night, but wanted to see if there is anyway I can remove my hand from my face LOL. I don't like it there... I know my eyes are soft again, but it's another one I actually quite like after I went through PP.

Thanks so much guys :lol:

Sepiame.jpg

+1 for reshoot. You will get more experience that way :) Kind of a bummer though. THat hand would take a lot of PP work to remove.

I think it is nice as-is. Also, re-shoot it in RAW. Do you have brown hair or black? It looks black in this photo and it blends into the brown, probably because jpgs don't have enough midtones. This is easily fixed with a raw image and minimum jpg compression.

Two other small things:

- Back off a bit with the zoom, the cutting off of the white band in your hair is a little distracting.

- Get a lipstick or something that isn't glossy. Maybe a darker color. I don't normally like make-up on women, but since this is B&W, your eyeliner looks good.

- Maybe when you find one you like, try it in sepia too. Start with the color image and do the rest with software.

Take this all with a grain of salt though. It is a very good portrait, and no matter what you do, there is always going to be some little detail that is not 100% right.

You're lucky to have such a pretty model working for free too. ;)

The shadow on the right side of your nose is not flattering your nose and for me the light camera left is to high and to close to the lens axis, also interferring with the definition of your nose..

The light camera right casting the nose shadow could be just a bit higher, IMO, but not so high that the shadow touches your upper lip line.

Something I've started to realize is that depending on the lens certain aperatures create more sharpness. For instance: when I first got my 70-200 2.8 I always wanted to shoot wide open. I had great bokeh but I was missing the pinpoint sharpness in the eyes when shooting portraits. I then practiced with different f-stops and soon found that stopping down to about 3.2 or 4.0 would get me a bit more sharpness.

This may be different with a kit lens but it's something to try on your next practice session.

~Shawn~

It used to be said the sharpest aperture for any lens is two stops down from wide open.

Thanks so much guys. Will remember all that when i reshoot. :) Perhaps I will have a little helper next time! :thumbup:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back