Another Storm

Discussion in 'Landscape & Cityscape' started by woodsac, Sep 26, 2005.

1. woodsac

woodsac TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    We've got another storm rolling through the desert tonight. So, I thought I'd run out and try and catch some more lightning. I think I did ok?

Before the storm. I just thought we were gonna have a cloudy night :er:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  2. LaFoto

LaFoto Just Corinna in real life Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The first one is beautiful because of its colours (does the storm blow up a lot of sand and dirt or why does the sunset become this intensely red?), and the lightning photos are - perfect! What more can you achieve?

I like how the lightning illuminates the bottom of the clouds, and I like how you can see the rain in the last! They all three look pinsharp to me.

(I have no idea how you can ever "meet" lightning in the very moment it is there...)

3. woodsac

woodsac TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thank you LaFoto!

Yes, when the wind blows here, we get lots and lots of dust in the air. This is what normally causes the bright red sky in most of my *stormy* photos. Most of our storms move in from the south-south east. Which is good for photos because it puts the storm clouds and lightning over the mountains.

I took these lightning photos on *bulb* exposure at f/11 (most of them). When I had what I thought would be enough dramatic lightning in the frame to not overexpose the picture is when I would end the frame.

4. LaFoto

Photos NOT OK to edit
    What exactly does "bulb" mean? I have read the expression so many times by now and never knew what it is. Now is the opportunity to quickly ask.

5. Randog

Randog TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Awesome!!! shots woodsac, The first one is very beautiful and the lighting shots are just stunning!

6. deveel

deveel TPF Noob!

Awesome shots, the first one just made my jaw dropping, beautiful colors! And the other three just make me wait for a thunderstorm here to also try out taking lightning photos. These are great shots, the clouds are amazing!

LaFoto, bulb means the shutter is open as long as you press the button ...

7. doenoe

doenoe TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    those are some excellent lightning pics. They look awesome. Cant wait to see more.
    We had a thunderstorm some nights ago....................and i slept through the whole thing DOH

8. speciespython

speciespython TPF Noob!

wow! nice shots! the 1st is BEAUTIFUL! Out of the other shots, i'd have to say the 4th is my fav, because of the way the mountains in the background are light up.

:wav:

laura

9. woodsac

woodsac TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thanks everyone. I like following the lightning around.

LaFoto, deveel told you correctly. If your camera has a bulb function, instead of your exposure being timed, the shutter is open as long as you have the shutter release button pressed. This is when a remote cable release comes in handy ;)

10. LaFoto

Photos NOT OK to edit
    But doesn't this long exposure make your photo all bright? It does not look as if in your lightning photos... but I would assume that that would happen... "shutter is open" means to me: film... and in the digital world what? ... is being exposed. All the while. Light gets onto it (film/whatever). Lightning will make it clearly too bright. Those would be my thoughts. But that does not seem to happen... Hmph. Lucky you's...

11. mentos_007

mentos_007 The Freshmaker!

Photos OK to edit
    beautiful pictures!! The first one has lovely colours, while the rest ones... just great! I am a bit afraid of shooting during the storm, but you managed to capture some great lightnings!!!!

12. woodsac

woodsac TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Overexposure is a big risk. Depending on how bright/far away the lightning is, I will use a large apperature like f/22. But most of my exposures are no more than 2 or 3 minutes. I also make sure that I'm shooting in a dark area with no sudden change in light. I have one pic from last night that looks like daylight because the lightning was so close and bright!

I just read that you can place a black object in front of the lense to help minimize overexposure. But then you risk missing the lightning strike :confused:

Thanks mentos. The last night was the first time I had any concerns. I got caught in the middle of the storm and it started dropping hail the size of marbles. I really thought it was going to break the windshield on the car :shock: But it only lasted for about 6-8 minutes. I had to wipe off all the hail that was stuck on the window above the wipers. It was too heavy to let the wipers work.