another 'taking it in'

Discussion in 'Critique Forum Archives' started by JonMikal, Jun 20, 2005.

1. JonMikal

JonMikal TPF Noob!

how do you feel about this one. at first, i couldn't tell if the guy was sleeping or thinking...i found out shortly after. he was studying a piece on the wall to my right and had held that pose forever it seemed...he was definately into art this day. i dropped low for this one to get a slightly different perspective.

shot with a D70 - existing light - rested camera on top of camera bag. i know that dang barrel look is present again, but i wanted to include as much art work as possible to get a feel of the room.

[​IMG]

2. clarinetJWD

clarinetJWD The Naked Spammer Staff Member

The low angle works so well here, and the conversion is swoon worthy as usual. I know you're an in camera cropper, but that little bit of painting that is cut off on the left and creeping in on the right bothers me a little.

3. JonMikal

JonMikal TPF Noob!

so crop equally on both sides or just crop the right pic frame out? i wanted to keep the sitter centered.

4. clarinetJWD

You could do either, though if you did equally, I think it would make the picture on the left sem a bit more natural. Either way, I'm having more and more trouble looking away from that man. :)

5. DramaDork626

DramaDork626 TPF Noob!

I like the composition. And it catches my interest. It makes me feel like I actually in the room.

6. Nikon Fan

Nikon Fan TPF Noob!

I would agree about the crop, but say just do the right side. Otherwise I really like this image...there seems to be some distortion you are getting and I'm not sure why but it makes it kind of cool looking :) The conversion is perfect and I think you really captured something nice here Jon :)

7. ThatCameraThingy

ThatCameraThingy TPF Noob!

Nice pic

just loose the little bit of frame on the right.

don't know how you feel about PS - I would have just cloned it out.

Hanno

8. kilifila66

kilifila66 TPF Noob!

I have to agree with those above, but specifically with ThatCameraThingy. If you have ps, clone out that right frame. Otherwise don't touch this one. I like the "barrel" look and I also really enjoy the subject. It reminds me somewhat of Ferris Buellers Day Off when they look at Sunday on la grande jatte by Suerat.

9. bogleric

bogleric TPF Noob!

the angle and composition is done quite well. As for the right frame, I do find it a little annoying, however the trim on the wall adds to the character of the room significantly. I am not a big fan of using PS to clone out things in images (takes out some of the art of shooting), however in this case I might make an exception if it were me.

10. JonMikal

JonMikal TPF Noob!

thanks all. here's the edited version. seems with the little bit of frame missing it looks unbalanced.

[​IMG]

11. clarinetJWD

Perfect, now my attention is firmly on the subject. :)

12. bogleric

bogleric TPF Noob!

this does feel a little off balance now. My eyes also seem to be drawn away from the subject now and towards the empty space. Then again that could be caused by the fact I know what was changed.