Another Veteran's Portrait Project Session (with a twist)

tirediron

Watch the Birdy!
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.johnsphotography.ca
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Had another Veteran's portrait project session today; Andrew had called me over a month ago, but there were some scheduling issues and we only just got the session done today. In our discussions prior to the shoot, Andrew's trade hadn't come up. It turns out he was a Clearance Diver, and had this morning, as he put it, a brilliant idea, of borrowing this antique hard-hat. My lighting plan did NOT include a large, more-or-less round and highly reflective posing bench, but, after a few tweaks with light position, I think we pulled it off satisfactorily. As always, comments, critique and suggestions appreciated.

Gilmour_VPP.jpg

CPO2 Andrew Gilmour, CD, RCN (Ret'd)

As always, solid portrait, despite that highly reflective helmet!! Only minor negative is, I would love to see all of the helmet.

super. put it on his head and I would have been thrilled.

I am sure he is very happy with that. I would be!
I hope so! Thanks! :)

As always, solid portrait, despite that highly reflective helmet!! Only minor negative is, I would love to see all of the helmet.
Thanks! The whole helmet isn't really an option as any lower would mean seeing the odds & ends that supporting the helmet since the custom stand was too low! :lol:

super. put it on his head and I would have been thrilled.
Damn... I never thought of that! :(

Love the helmet as both a prop and as an artifact of his service!

Excellent work. Makes it hard to suggest ways to improve...... :)

Very nice. Most people don't know what it takes to get an image like that.

Very nice. Most people don't know what it takes to get an image like that.
Thanks! :) In this case, Three light stands, one pop-up background, 21" gridded beauty dish, two speedlights, Nikon D800 & 85 1.4, and and some good, old-fashioned s**t-house luck!

Last edited:
That's really cool. Well done. Your veterans portraits are outstanding.

Well done!! I love the background in this one. A little brighter than the ones you've done in the past? Or maybe its the monitor I am on.

Anyhow, what a cool shot! Thanks for sharing.

Well lighted on all counts, a super portrait but ... the big but ... I want him centered. The flag seems to be next to him on his right, I'd think the flag would look best behind him on his right.

That's really cool. Well done. Your veterans portraits are outstanding.
Thanks (the other) Sharon! :)

Well done!! I love the background in this one. A little brighter than the ones you've done in the past? Or maybe its the monitor I am on.

Anyhow, what a cool shot! Thanks for sharing.
Thank-you! This is brighter; it's a more "official portrait" style per the client request

Well lighted on all counts, a super portrait but ... the big but ... I want him centered. The flag seems to be next to him on his right, I'd think the flag would look best behind him on his right.
You're probably right; this is my version of an RCN official portrait, and normally, the flag would be further back, so that it cut in behind his right shoulder, but this was done in his livingroom, and there simply wasn't enough room. The background is literally against one wall, and I am on the stairway!

Most reactions

Back