Another "Which lens?" thread

Polyphony

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I recently returned from a vacation in which I realized I needed a zoom lens. Many shots that I took would have been better or improved if I could have been closer to the subject.

I use a Canon T1i and am looking for a versatile zoom lens. One that can go fairly wide but can also zoom. I'd like this because I wouldn't have to be changing lenses all the time. I could just pop this lens on and have wide/zoom capabilities. It would be sort of a "walk-around" lens for me. I think I've heard of 18-200 lenses or something? I'm not sure, that's why I'm asking.

If price ranges are rated low (cheap), medium (fair), and high (expensive), my price range is medium. (I realize that cheap/expensive vary from person to person but just go with it)

Any help/suggestions is/are appreciated. Thanks.

There are several 18-200 lenses out there. Canon, Sigma and Tamron (I think, maybe Tokina? or possibly both?) all have them. The Canon and Sigma have image stabilization, not sure about the other(s), but I think so. I have the Canon, it's not bad, but all superzooms like that have issues with distortion, CA, sharper at one end, and generaly sharpest in the middle. I took mine to London last summer, and it ended up being my walk around on my 50D. Most of the issues can be corrected, or mostly, in PPing. I was surprised by how good color and contrast were, all things considered. The IS works very well also. The Canon is just under $600US, I don't know about the others.

There are several 18-200 lenses out there. Canon, Sigma and Tamron (I think, maybe Tokina? or possibly both?) all have them. The Canon and Sigma have image stabilization, not sure about the other(s), but I think so. I have the Canon, it's not bad, but all superzooms like that have issues with distortion, CA, sharper at one end, and generaly sharpest in the middle. I took mine to London last summer, and it ended up being my walk around on my 50D. Most of the issues can be corrected, or mostly, in PPing. I was surprised by how good color and contrast were, all things considered. The IS works very well also. The Canon is just under $600US, I don't know about the others.
Thanks. I guess I just need to hear opinions on Canon's 18-200 and if there are better options. It's in my price range and so far it doesn't look too bad. (According to your comments and another review that I read)

Any more input is appreciated.

I think that this depends on what you want out of your potography..

The reason for SLR's having interchangeable lenses is because there isn't one that is the do all, be all, and so expect compromises if you choose the 18-200... Aside from the variable aperture issues, it also will not give you the IQ that a more modest, higher quality lens will give..

I think that a good photograph, taken with a good quailty lens, can take some cropping to get the scene you want.. A lesser quality photo will always be a lesser quality photo........

I really liked the 28-135 OS Canon one. Nice thing is everyone want to get rid of them, I did myself cause its a kit lens. It's actually a very nice lens and can be got cheap on amazon used. Its a great walk around

The 18-200 types I find to be not wide wide enough at 18mm, and seldom useful at the long end (on a typical 'walkaround' I seldom need to go further than 100mm, plus these lenses are usually soft at 200mm and slow as well at f/6.3 usually).
If it was me I would go for the canon 15-85mm IS. The extra wideness would be really handy, and from what I've read they are a good performing lens.

Most reactions

Back