Another "which one" thread

Bev_K

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
bevklingensmith.zenfolio.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This is mainly about me being indecisive...I'm having a hard time deciding which way to go on some potential purchases.

My current gear includes:
Canon Rebel (300D) + kit lens (18-55)
Canon EF 75-300mm 1:4-5.6 II
Canon EF 20-35 mm 1:3.5-4.5
Canon EF 50mm 1.8
Speedlight 420EX
Tripod & other misc. (plus some film camera stuff that I'll probably be selling soon)

I have two young children and also show dogs, and do a lot of informal "portrait style" pictures of both kids & dogs.

Anywho.. I will have around $1700 to spend. I'm very torn between the 70-200 2.8L IS vs. a macro (Canon's 100mm 2.8), ring lite flash and even a nice set up from Alien Bees for lighting...and might still have a little left over for some other small, misc things.

No matter which way I go, I'm sure I'll love the equipment, but might be a tad sad that I didn't get the other. LOL Ah, if only my income supported by habits!

I see pro's/con's for either...the 70-200 would be nice for dog shows (usually low light and no flash allowed, so fast lens is nice...don't always have time/room for tri-pod, so the IS would sure be handy, too), but I really only shoot one show a year.

It'd also be nice to be able to grab some pictures of the deer that visit our yard! I've read enough reviews and info about this lens to know that most people love it for tons of uses. Know I could get many different uses out of it, too. Would be nice to upgrade to such a lens and I'd probably end up selling my current telephoto.

BUT, I have been very interested in macro lately and love the thought of a "whole new world" in my own backyard. Also think I would benefit from playing with lighting, to learn more about studio lighting. Not to mention, it would enable me to get some neat shots of kids/dogs inside.

Can anyone offer some thoughts for helping me decide? My heart seems to be leaning towards the marco and lighting, but my biggest hesitation is the thought that stuff would be easier to add in chunks, when I don't have a that amount to spend all at once. Once I make this purchase, I'm sure hubby won't fall for it if I tried to spend the same amount any time again soon. <G>

Thanks,
Bev

The Canon 70-200mm F2.8 IS USM will give you more flexibility than a prime. If your photographing your kids or animals the flexibility of having the zoom function will be invaluable. You'll agree with me when I say that both animals and kids move around alot. Having the zoom feature will allow you to more easily compose a shot when your subject is "on the go".

Both my kids play sports and I love the 70-200mm F2.8 Canon zoom. It's considered one of Canon's premier lenses. I've not been disappointed with mine!

Most reactions

Back