Another wierd question brought to you by Asfixiate

Hasselbalds and other Medium format cameras are more suited to the studio, where size, weight, speed, etc are not an issue. Quality is the only consideration. SLRs are designed for Field use. SLRs take into consideration things like Battery life, FPS, read/wright speeds, physical size, robust build, weatherproofing, and image quality, so SLR need to balance all of the above, and cannot(yet) have all of the above and hassy image quality.

Maybe if you're buying a 1DsMKIII. You honestly can't compare images from a 5D to a MF digital camera.

I was out taking photos one weekend and saw two photography students one with a point and shoot the other with a Hasselblad. We were actually shooting the same shot and I overheard here talking to her friend telling her she could no get the exposure correct. First off I found it ridiculous that she would caryy a Hasselblad around Boston secondly I was absurd that she counld not expose the shot correctly, it was a very simple shot to get perfect lighting, nothing moving, very simple. I assume she had super rich parents who bought her the best camera they could for school, unfortunatly this girl had no idea what she was doing with it.

Yeah the camera I upgrade to will be a 5d or MarkIII. It would be a good problem to have if I was actually considering a hasselblad but I don't think this is going to happen.

Maybe if you're buying a 1DsMKIII. You honestly can't compare images from a 5D to a MF digital camera.

Thats basically what I was saying; the is nothing more important in a controlled studio environment than quality,and a MF digital has amazing quality, but SLRs Trade quality for other aspects which are more important in the field. Two Different tools for different jobs. You wouldn't want to shoot the Superbowl with a Hassy, granted the image quality is spectacular, but trade off some of that quality for the extra speed and ease of use that a 1D mkIII has to offer and you would be much better off.

I would assume (and only an assumption, because I've never even touched one) that their glass is probably super-high quality as well. Anyway as everyone said, some shooting favors the Hassy, some favors the high-fps/high-ISO w/ low noise pro DSLRs. In addition to studio, landscape photography would be another area. I believe Ansell Adams shot medium and large format camera a lot.

Most reactions

Back