Ansel Adams Quotes

Discussion in 'Photographic Discussions' started by abraxas, Dec 28, 2008.

1. abraxas

abraxas No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    From Ansel Adams, the Grand-daddy of landscape photography. I don't quite agree with some of these, but still pretty good reading when things get boring and slow.

2. Dweller

Dweller Inconspicuous Supporter

Photos OK to edit
    Wonderful post, thank you. I see now after reading this that I should not only appreciate his photography, but should be seeking out his writing as well.

3. abraxas

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I should break down and get one of his books. Quotes like these tend to get my thinking right without effecting my own originality.

4. Mike_E

Mike_E No longer a newbie, moving up!

The Upper West Side of Mississippi (you have no i
    Photos OK to edit
    They're cheap at twice the price! ;)

5. Stephi

Stephi TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Ansel Adams is one of my favorite photographers, thanks for this post :)

6. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I tried to read one or two of his books...they started off very technical and put me to sleep.

Ansel Adams occasionally brought a class to the wildlife sanctuary that my grandfather ran for 40 years. There is a photo of Ansel (presumably taken by my grandfather) in the book that my grandfather wrote. He was an award winning photographer himself. Unfortunately, I only got to meet him a handful of times and he passes away a couple months ago.

7. abraxas

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'm not as enthused with technical publications as I used to be. I've seen little bits and pieces of the 'zone system', and notes from others as well as wonderful work that can be produced by using it. However, I know what you mean, it gets tedious and I'd rather work on developing my own techniques and style.

It's easier for me to enjoy his quotes and see his work.
    The Ansel Adams Gallery

That's a shame about your grandfather. My grandfather died before my mother was born. I suspect that the talent/artistic abilities in my family come from his genes. I wish I knew something about him other than he was the 'black sheep' of his family and my grandmother never considered remarrying, even though she was a young widow.

8. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I wonder too, if I got any artistic genes from my grandfather. He was no black sheep...he was beloved by all...but my father (his son) on the other hand, is the epitome of black sheep.

A neat story about my grandfather. He was a big supporter of his local college football team...Butte college in northern California. Long story but the athletic grounds and stadium were named after him a long time ago. When he died this fall, they had a ceremony and gave the family a game ball...and all the players put his initials on their helmets for the rest of the year. Anyway, the cool part is that they managed to go undefeated this year and were crowned National Champs in the Jr college division.

Here is his book...[ame="http://www.amazon.com/jewel-Pacific-Flyway-story-Wildlife/dp/0971300003"]A Jewel in the Pacific Flyway[/ame].

9. abraxas

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Great cover image on that book. He appears to have been an excellent photographer. Cool story tribute to your grandfather too. I did nothing but argue with my paternal grandfather- we did mend things up before he passed away. My maternal grandmother gave me my love for the outdoors. She thought it was important and took me places and told me stuff. She passed away before I started making a living off of the outside. I've tried to pass on the things she gave me to my kids and grandkids.

From what I heard my grandfather was a pretty good guy, just went his own way- and if my Mom's brother (my money-sucking uncle) was anything like the rest of his family, I would have stayed away too. Now my Mom's uncle was quite a painter. She met him years later when she visited him in Indiana. He gave her one of his pieces called, 'Indiana Autumn.' We had it hanging in our living room. I spent many hours studying it, wondering what Indiana and inside the beautiful forest he had made was like.