Ansel Adams

danalec99

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Has anyone here had the opportunity to meet/work the maestro?

He died in 1984 so that was well before I picked up a camera. Well I may have picked up a camera when I was three, but I probably just tried to eat it rather then take photos with it.

TwistMyArm said:
Well I may have picked up a camera when I was three, but I probably just tried to eat it rather then take photos with it.

:)

I haven't, but my Grandfather met/worked with him a few times. I believe Ansel would come to Grey Lodge, where my Grandfather was head wild life officer or park warden, with students to photograph the wildlife.

The only reason I know this, is because it's mentioned (along with a picture of Ansel) in the book that my Grandfather published about his time at Grey Lodge.

Unfortunately, my Grandfather lives in Northern California while I was born & raised up here in Edmonton. I have only been to visit twice :cry:

One of my aunts worked with him. Even had the chance to study with him at several workshops. She has a few stories to tell about him, but most are a grandfatheryly like image.

I have a dear friend of mine, an old gentleman living in the town of Cool, California. Robert Toren, retired photographer and occasional Sunday paper (local) columnist. He was a good friend of Ansel and worked with him many times. I've heard a few good stories about Ansel from him.

I occasionally go out shooting with a guy whose mentor's was a student of Ansel Adams, and that's possibly as close as I've ever come to one of the "masters".

I did read Ansel Adams biography last year. Not real exciting, but very interesting if you are into his work or landscape photography. And of course The Camera, The Negative, and The Print are never far from my reach (someday I will have a full set at my bedside, in my bathroom, in the darkroom, and here at the computer).

ksmattfish said:
And of course The Camera, The Negative, and The Print are never far from my reach

I'm sorry, but I did not get it!

Ansel Adams' most famous books are the like the bible of traditional photography, and they are simply called "The Camera", "The Negative", and "The Print". Look in used book stores and you can probably find an old set cheap.

Thank you sire!!

Well i certainly have never met "the Man". My photography proffesor has printed from some of his negatives as a favor to John Sexton though. My photo teacher is a treasure chest of knowledge as he has works with some of the greats. His favorite mentors are John Sexton and Ruth Bernhard since he worked wth them as their assistant for a time. I went over to his house and its like a gallery of work from professionals. He has photos from Bernhard, Sexton and others hanging on the wall. Including a couple of Ansel pictured that he printed while assisting Sexton. Its really funny to walk in their though, he has all the masters on the wall, nicely framed like a museum, then he own work, (which i think is very close in ability to Sexton's) is lieing on the floor or up against the wall looking neglected.

Whats the title of his autobiog?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back