answer me this

Kofman13

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
im pretty much inexperienced.... can someone explain why...
first off i cant find any 50 mm 1.8 lens for olympus while canon and nikon have them.
the only olympus 50 mm lens is $400 or more and its not even f 1,8 its 2.0
50 mm 1.8 for canon or nikon is around $100. why is this

There are a number of reasons, but the primary one is that the Olympus mount is a new-to-digital mount and the Nikon and Canon mounts are "antique" (by digital standards) hand-me-down mounts inherited from ancient film cameras (Nikon's is 50 years old this year). As a result, both Nikon and Canon have available old lens designs that have been in continuous production for decades with only minor tweaks. Their R&D costs have long been paid off.

True, Oly could resurrect the old 50mm f/1.8 OM glass and remount it to fit their 4/3rds bodies. Its questionable, though, whether this would be very marketable with the reasonably priced and optically better 50mm f/2.0 Macro already in the line.

If you don't mind manual focus and limited metering, which is what many Nikon users are limited to when using older lenses, you can always get an adapter to use any of several other mounts, such as Nikon, old Canon FD/FL, Olympus OM, and others.

http://www.amazon.com/Olympus-MF-1-...6?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1258841051&sr=8-6

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
There are a number of reasons, but the primary one is that the Olympus mount is a new-to-digital mount and the Nikon and Canon mounts are "antique" (by digital standards) hand-me-down mounts inherited from ancient film cameras (Nikon's is 50 years old this year). As a result, both Nikon and Canon have available old lens designs that have been in continuous production for decades with only minor tweaks. Their R&D costs have long been paid off.

True, Oly could resurrect the old 50mm f/1.8 OM glass and remount it to fit their 4/3rds bodies. Its questionable, though, whether this would be very marketable with the reasonably priced and optically better 50mm f/2.0 Macro already in the line.

If you don't mind manual focus and limited metering, which is what many Nikon users are limited to when using older lenses, you can always get an adapter to use any of several other mounts, such as Nikon, old Canon FD/FL, Olympus OM, and others.

Amazon.com: Olympus MF-1 OM Lens Adapter: Electronics

you are saying that $400+ is a reasonable price for 50 mm?

there is no way to use a canon 50 mm on an olympus with some sort of adapter? lol

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
No, modern Canon EF lenses have NO APERTURE control on the lenses,so there is no adapter made for EF Canon lenses to 4/3 mount....who would want to shoot anything wide-open with a Canon EF lens? Ditching the aperture control on the Canon EF lenses and the Minolta/Sony A-mount lenses basically condemned those lenses to a closed-loop.

Canon FD-mount manual focus lenses an be adapted to 4/3 mount cameras, which is about the only camera they can be adapted to. Here's a $179 adapter allowing you to mount FD-mount Canon manual focus lenses to 4/3 bodies.
Adaper Micro 4/3 FD

Most reactions

Back