Antartica

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by damiana, Nov 20, 2008.

1. damiana

damiana TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    HI,
    I am off to Antartica, does anyone have some advice on how to save batteries, what is the better filter to use on my camera ( I have a digital Nikon D40X) and on how to take fantastic pix during this unique trip? Any advice/tip is welcome
    Thank you

2. ann

ann No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    have a great time. I am off to SA in Dec. just not that far south. Hope to get some great pics

keep you batteries in your pocket, or as close to your body as possible.
    on the other hand i just got an email recently about this very thing

try reading this

http://www.pcworld.com/article/153446/article.html?tk=nl_dfxblg#

3. damiana

damiana TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    thank you, it looks interesting.
    Enjoy SA!

4. icassell

icassell TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Wow, I'm jealous! If I had that type of once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, I'd have plenty of spare batteries, plenty of memory cards, a long lens for the wildlife, a circular polarizer, a tripod and a bridge camera (like a G10 or similar) in case my primary gave me problems.

Is this a tour or business?

Have a great trip and post alot when you get back.

Ian

5. czsmola

czsmola TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    on of my friends just had a point and shot when she went....and it was not big of an issue...becasue during the day its cold but no not like -8million becasue its summer there...but i would probably get my self a grip that can also use AA i would make sure that you have plenty of memory especially if you do not have a laptop to take with for the boat.....also on a second note go buy yourself some patagonia Long underware its worth the money and Ski Socks... enjoy your trip

6. anubis404

anubis404 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    A CPL for skies (a must have for outdoor) and maybe an ND filter for waterfalls and such. I don't know if I'd take a tripod. There is plenty of light to get sharp pictures outside, and especially on long hikes a tripod can weigh you down. Also get a decent bag (if you're hiking). If you have the extra money, I would also have a very long and a very wide lens (200mm or above, 20mm or below).

7. chrisburke

chrisburke TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    to keep your batteries lasting longer, you need heat.. i would buy some of those hand warmers.. they are like little packets that you break and they create heat.. put one in your pocket with your battery

8. Antarctican

Antarctican TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I've been to Antarctica twice. My trips were aboard a ship, and we would make shore landings 2 or 3 times a day, for 2-4 hours at a time. The trips were run during the 'summer' months (in Antarctica) of November to March. It was often sunny, and the temperatures ranged from about +4 to -15 degrees Celsius the times I was there. (To a Torontonian, those are not terribly cold temperatures).

As we were really only 'outside' for those 4 or so hours at a time, I never had a problem with my (film) camera or batteries. I would carry spare batteries (I was using CR2's) with me, but it was rare they would need replacing. As other posters have mentioned, you keep them in a pocket close to your body, so they stay warm. I kept my 28-300 lens on at all times, as I liked the range it provided and I didn't have to keep changing lenses. I know that some people who were changing lenses sometimes had their cameras freeze up on them (perhaps from cold air getting inside.)

If you're on a ship, most have a computer on board, with 'universal' cardreaders, where you can download your pics to a disk or jumpdrive. So you might want to take disks or jumpdrives with you, and a cardreader or your cable, if you won't be taking your own laptop. And don't forget your recharger for your batteries (you'd be surprised at what people would forget!)

The ships I was on also had lecturers/expedition leaders who were quite good at photography, and they were always pleased to help you with any questions. As the snow can be quite bright, you have to compensate for that. I just kept my camera in its case, in a plastic bag, in my knapsack when in the zodiac ferrying us from ship to shore. You might also want to invest in a drybag for added protection if you're going to be near water: they're light and inexpensive. I found no real need (on the type of trip I was on) to take a hard Pelican case, as it would just be unwieldy when ashore. Once I was on shore, the camera was around my neck the whole time. (Actually, I'd often have it around my neck, tucked into my jacket and lifevest, while in the zodiac so I could take pictures then too).

Hope this helps! I'm sure you'll have an awesome time. And shoot me an email if you have any other questions I might be able to answer.

9. icassell

icassell TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    :hail::hail:

Wow! Going there has been a lifelong dream of mine (as well as the Galapagos).

Ian

10. Antarctican

Antarctican TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    It is a phenomenal place to visit. So unspoiled and pristine (at least the places I visited). If you ever get the chance to go, GO!!!

(And Galapagos is very high on my long list of places I want to visit, too)

11. Phazan

Phazan TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Did anyone notice this in the link??

"Just don't try taking your camera on an expedition to the South Pole."

Hahaha :lol:

12. ann

ann No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    i did, but since we are just sailing around cape horn and over to the Fauklan Island i haven't been worried.