Antique black and white photography. Need Advice if possible.

Sibelius19

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi everyone!
I have acquired some antique black and white photography from the 1930's. They are the work of a man named A.B. De La Vergne from Colorado. I believe he has passed away, though I can't find anything about him on the internet.
The photos have gone through several art exhibits. A black and white cross-hatch screen method was used (not sure if there are gelatin silver or not). I was just wondering if anyone knew how much they would be worth (any ideas whatsoever). My Father thinks they are worth a lot, but I'm questioning it because nobody knows who the guy is. The date and quality of the work could work to its favor, but I'm not sure.
Thanks guys!

Last edited:
Could you post a couple of scans? Generally prints by unknown artists aren't worth a great deal, but there are exceptions. I would see if you can learn any more about him. Is there a studio name/address? If you can narrow him down to a city or region, you may be able use local records to learn more about him. He may also have some local value.

yep, exact address is 1232 E Colfax Ave, Denver, Colorado.

oh, and thank you so much for your suggestions. that's a great idea. It might have some local value.

oh, and thank you so much for your suggestions. that's a great idea. It might have some local value.

Get in touch with Denver and area historical societies, museums, etc. If he was a prolific photographer, he may well be known in the area. Again, probably not valuable, but interesting to be sure.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back