Antiquities from the British Museum (x20)

GeorgeUK

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.pbmwforum.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Took my 50mm f/1.8 prime to the British Museum yesterday to try and get in some much needed practice (not used my camera for ages owing to work/exams).

Tried to be quite strict with myself and only use the prime (rather than fall back on on the 18-55 kit lens) because I think it's a decent way of getting one to use their legs and look at things from different angles to get the shot. Was also a good opportunity to flick the switch from AF to MF and I have to admit that was good fun.

I love the shallow DOF one can get with this lens. I had it set to about 2.8, trying to focus on details and hopefully make these photos stand out more than the standard common or garden 'snaps' one would take at any museum.

The lens is better than I am! It really is capable of some super sharp pictures, I just wish I could hold it steady and realise the potential.
Regarding any processing, these images have had only the slightest done. A touch of brightness/contrast as well as a sharpening filter applied. Nothing else apart from that.

Anyways, enough of my ramblings, here are 20 of the (alleged) best photos I took yesterday (out of about 300!!).

museum1.jpg

museum2.jpg

museum3.jpg

Tried to get the DOF just show to have one line sharp and the rest blurred.
museum4.jpg

Tried to get him to look 'into' the photo. Not sure if it has worked so well.
museum5.jpg

Same again here.

museum6.jpg

museum7.jpg

I felt a straight on image worked best for this statue.

museum8.jpg

museum9.jpg

museum10.jpg

Trying to use a shallow DOF to have it sharp up top and blur towards the feet.

museum11.jpg

museum12.jpg

museum13.jpg

museum14.jpg

museum15.jpg

museum16.jpg

museum17.jpg

museum18.jpg

museum19.jpg

museum20.jpg

Comments and criticism most welcome :)

Overall very nice set. The only ones I have a problem with are 1, 4, 10, and 14

The background in 1 is distracting as it is not as blurred out, getting rid of the lights would also help to try to take it out of the museum.

Remove the light from 4 as well. Very good DOF otherwise. These are the only two that scream "you took me in a museum".

I like the idea of only focusing on the plane of the face, but from your angle, you cant really tell what it is without the description.

The angle on 14 causes you to lose a lot of detail from the sculpture and gives that looking up the nose feeling.

I assume that flashes were prohibited?

7 and 16 are my favorites due to their backgrounds and good composition for the sculpture.

Do you know what the line in focus on 3 says?

Good stuff, you should try converting some of these to B&W to see what sort of results you'll get.

Thanks for taking the time to leave comments :)

@ jvgig - The reason I was taking those kind of angles was to minimise the amount of stuff in the background that be distracting.

Flashes were not prohibited, but I find the standard flash of the 400D v unforgiving as it has a tendancy to wash out images.

Thank you for your comments, unfortunately I have no idea what the hieroglyphics say!

@ K Pugh - I converted a couple as a test but unfortunately with the statues being light colours against a light colour it didn't provide enough contrast for a good b&w image.

3 and 4 are my favorite, the hieroglyphics is an awesome picture, number 4 is awesome as well. I think number 7 is a lost cause unfortunately, the statue seems way to worn down.

Excellent shots, some of these statues look very much alive.

Flashes were not prohibited, but I find the standard flash of the 400D v unforgiving as it has a tendancy to wash out images.

Fair enough, better to know your limitations beforehand than find out after you took the picture. I think the only shots that I have seen taken at a museum with a flash and turn out were when the flash was bounced off the ceiling, but the standard flash cant do that so I would say you did the best with your equipment.

@ Tasmaster - Thanks :)

Fair enough, better to know your limitations beforehand than find out after you took the picture. I think the only shots that I have seen taken at a museum with a flash and turn out were when the flash was bounced off the ceiling, but the standard flash cant do that so I would say you did the best with your equipment.

Thanks. I agree the ideal would be to have a separate flash (with diffuser) for highlights however I'm too por too afford one of those for the moment. Oh well, my birthday is only 3 months away. I'll make a subtle hint to the girlfriend!

There were a great many people at the museum with much more exotic equipment, I wonder how their shots turned out. It's nice to know a £60 lens can cut it and take some crisp photos. :thumbup:

Most reactions

Back