Antony Gormley (Another Place) - Colour or B&W?

jamie_

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I really can't decide which version I prefer. Does anyone have any views?

Thanks in advance,

Jamie

Antony-Gormley-colour.jpg

Antony-Gormley-bw.jpg

Well, the lens flare is a lot less noticeable in the black and white version, but overall, I think the color version is the better of the two. :)

I agree^ but I think you really couldnt go wrong with either one, its a great shot

with the black & white, I feel drawn to the same thing that the person in the photo feels drawn to - - the light.

In the color, my eyes aren't led to that place and I don't feel drawn anywhere - my eyes just are searching through the color. It looks good - but the B&W is my choice.

I prefer the colour version

BTW where is it?

My eyes were instantly drawn to the very black, quite featureless lower left corner of the b&w version which is still more detailed in the colour version. I only saw the lens flare after having read Anti's post, so that did not seem to bother me as much as the black corner does. Hence my vote must go towards the colour.
Though - colour or no colour - the topic, composition, choice of angle and point of view are so cleverly chosen that this photo is just GOOD as it is!

the color holds no interest for me
the black and white one however....i could look at that for hours...
but then again, im a sucker for B&W

Cool shot. Colour one for me. These guys facinate me, must try to get a shot of them before they're gone. the flare can be delt with in PS :thumbup:

they're both nice, if I had to pick one, i'd go for the color one, for the same reason as LaFoto... there seems to be more detail in the color version, at least on my monitor. the b&w seems darker... what is that black figure? it kinda creeps me out... the pose and silhouette make it seem rather lifeless, like Gort from The Day the Earth Stood Still.

Thanks for the comments.

I like both versions for different reasons and would say I'm siding towards the B+W as I prefer the mood of it. I must say I quite like the slight lens flare - I wish this was more prominent.

The picture was taken in Liverpool, England (or Crosby, in particular). Antony Gormley, the artist that brought us the Angel of the North, has installed 100 life-size, iron cast, sculptures across 3 km of Crosby beach. We are hopeful that they will remain a permanent feature, but that is up in the air at the moment.

Jamie

Most reactions

Back