Any Advice for Watermarking

I wouldn't worry about it until you ARE a pro. When you are starting out there really is no point and it just makes your photos look tacky most of the time.

Just don't do it. I am a pro and I never watermark anything, the world hasn't ended.
If you are not a pro there is certainly no reason to do it.

I can't count the times that I've seen otherwise totally gorgeous photo's "ruined" with a watermark, large enough to subtend a budwieser Clydesdale horse. How about a teeny one in the lower left or right of your photo, if you feel you must have one?

J.:confused:

There are only two reasons to watermark a photo.

Identification (of you, or the photo)
Theft Prevention

For ID, a small one in the corner is sufficient like jbylake said.

For theft prevention, it just doesn't work. If you're that worried about it, only put low res photos online that can't be printed.

Even that won't work though. You wouldn't believe how many crappy prints (from printing the low res file) with iStock or Dreamstime watermarks on them I've seen hanging in cubicles at work... That kinda pisses me off...especially since those photos that they are printing are dirt cheap to purchase. 50 cents, and they'd rather print the low res proof with the watermark on it...

Last edited:
Yeah until your pro as dont worry about smothering your photo with a oversized unessacery watermark :) a small one with you name in the corner would be sufficent, using white transperant writing too :D If you want that you could post a photo with what u want written and ill give it ago and you can see if u want watermarked photos or not :D

Josh, your **** cracked me up! More and more places I see some blownup 8X10 of a very low resolution photo, especially on cubes at work!! I dont think .gifs were ever meant to be printed at 8X10!

Oh yeah, I saw my pictures in a TV commercial. They screen printed them off my website, cloned out the watermark in photoshop and there they were.
Watermarks are a waste of time, and just ruin an otherwise beautiful photo..
I got rid of all of them.

The only benefit is for a pro to use them as advertising on photos they use that may appear in publication some where.
If you use a watermark big enough to make a difference it will totally ruin the picture.

Oh yeah, I saw my pictures in a TV commercial. They screen printed them off my website, cloned out the watermark in photoshop and there they were.

The only benefit is for a pro to use them as advertising on photos they use that may appear in publication some where.
If you use a watermark big enough to make a difference it will totally ruin the picture.

If you can produce the evidence that those were your photo's used in a commercial, you should be able to sue for enough for a new Hassleblad, and a Mercede's to carry it in...:lol:

J.:mrgreen:

If you can produce the evidence that those were your photo's used in a commercial, you should be able to sue for enough for a new Hassleblad, and a Mercede's to carry it in...:lol:

J.:mrgreen:
Now that would be a nice camera bag...:lol:

Well actually that gets very complicated, but that is another issue.

Hmm something seems fishy but i'll take the hassy and benz :D lol
TJ

Most reactions

New Topics

Back