any advice please!!

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by LeighaP, Dec 14, 2008.

1. LeighaP

LeighaP TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    obviously i don't have a clue what i am doing.. just pointing and shooting.. would love any and all advice on these pics. i am very interested in learning all i can..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. chrisburke

chrisburke TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    its hard with such small pics.. but the first advice i can give is, dont cut off heads.

3. Battou

Battou No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Chris beat me to the punch....Yeah those head snippings are killing them. If you are looking for a deisent portriat feel, the subjects attention is helpful. The first and third suffer a lot from that.

4. tsaraleksi

tsaraleksi TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Actually there is nothing wrong with clipping the top of someone's head in a portrait, particularly when it helps bring the eyes up to the top of the image rather than the middle. Take a look at photos in fashion mags, etc, and you'll see what I mean.

Some advice: the bright white shirts are a bit of a problem: they are much brighter than the boy's faces so they are blown out to the point that they have no detail. At the same time, in some of the shots you need some fill flash so that you don't loose all of your background detail-- blown highlights in general are the biggest problems that jump out at me from the pictures. If you have specific things you are trying to achieve, then probably the advice can be a bit more specific.

5. LeighaP

LeighaP TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    thank u.... i was just taking pics of my boys, some were of my little one mad at me.. did not mean to cut the heads off so much..oops.....i guess i just got caught up in the look of his face... thanks for advice.. i am trying to learn all i can....

6. LeighaP

LeighaP TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    thank you so much... the only one that bothered me with the heads is the 3rd of them together.. i didn't pose them this way they actually were just being slouchy because they were aggrivated with me taking pics.. i still thought it was kind of a cool pic.. i do appreciate your help and i will watch the white shirts.. will that always pose a problem? (as far as the white shirts in any picture situation?)

7. chrisburke

chrisburke TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

i agree... however, when it is just a small tip of the head soft of deal, it doesnt look like it was done in a way to ring the eyes to the top, it looks like either an unintentional crop in PP, or a poor framing job when shot

8. Battou

Battou No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I know the feeling, I've deleted or tossed hundreds of them. Just wait till you start getting suprise props

As far as the white shirts, no, it will not always be a problem. Shooting outside under an overcast sky as well as a couple other situations should not hurt the results.