Any advices for a starting wildlife photographer ?

tokaji michael

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I want to start wildlife photography and I wanted to know if profesionals have any advices or recomandations because I know that is a hard part of photography ,if you have recomandatins for gear ( I want to buy the tamron 70- 300mm F4.5-5.6 di vc usd)

P.S: I'm beyond the basics

Depends upon what type of wildlife you're shooting. But especially if it's birds or wildlife that is a bit skittish around humans (like wolves), I think the 300mm isn't far enough. I'm going to Botswana in July and I've been told to think of 400mm-500mm range. Also, you're likely to be in lowlight in many cases (wildlife comes out at dusk and dawn to watering holes) so a faster lens is a good thing. This is especially true if you're shooting birds.

Also, a general rule of thumb for focal length-shutter speed that I've found to be true with long lens is the shutter speed should be double the focal length. So if you're shooting a 300mm lens you want to be exposing at 1/600th or faster. That's especially true for shooting birds that are moving at a distance (like a bird of prey). And that means you'll probably find a monopod or good hiking tripod to be invaluable.

B/c you'll often be shooting around water, that means a circular polarizing filter would be a good thing. B/c you'll be in wet weather waiting for the shot (or it rains going to or coming back from the shooting location then something to cover the camera (and no, a cover for your backpack isn't good enough). Think of a rain sleeve (or a child's raincoat/waterproof parka and you snake the zoom lens through a sleeve and the body of the jacket covers your head and the camera body).

Thanks for the reply . In the mane part I'm going to shoot birds but my budget is limited ( wich isn't a surprise) and it's around 500 $. I am going to shoot on a canon crop sensor body so the 70-300mm will be equivelent to 112-480 mm

The best advice I can give you is:
A, Get the best glass you can afford. If $500 is your limit then work within that limit. Don't go in debt for your gear. However do plan to start a savings account to drop some $ in from time to time because you WILL want to upgrade something in the future.

2, Get out and shoot!

B, Read this!

3, Get out and shoot!

C, know how to operate your camera. Read the manual, then read it again

4, Get out and shoot!

D, Have fun.

Do you have any advices related to tehniques or about photographing deer or willd boars because there are a lot of them in my area :)

Do you have any advices related to tehniques or about photographing deer or willd boars because there are a lot of them in my area :)
Just get out and start shooting as mentioned.
Develop your skills first. If you develop well then you'll find the limitations of the equipment.

If you want to look at video, then you'll be spending way above your $500 limit anyways.
You could do 4k video, but $$$

It's like wanting to be a race car driver but wondering how to compete against $100,000 cars with a budget of $1,000.

From what I have learned overcast or cloudy days tend to be best for shooting mammals so you don't have to deal with heavy shadows.

Here is a very good tutorial with light and wildlife.

The Ultimate Wildlife Photography Tutorial

While photographing mammals, getting close is going to be the toughest part (providing they aren't being fed. If they are then it's easy). Most wild animals want nothing to do with you.
Learn - Learn when, where and what path the animal uses to get to water/pasture. This info is the most valuable info you have to plan for a shoot.
Plan your location - If possible plan you spot so that the sun is behind you and you have good cover but still a good line of sight.
Get there first - getting set up prior to them arriving is the easiest way to get close to jumpy animals.
Go often - Getting the animals used to your presence is a great secondary option if getting there before them isn't an option.

See if there are any conservation organisations/game keepers/hunters/game stalkers etc... in your area.

Both deer and boar can be difficult to track during the lit parts of the day and can be dangerous as well. Eg boar are oft a woodland species so getting close for a shot can put you at risk; whilst during the rut deer can be dangerous as well.

Those groups I outlined above are more likely to be aware of the local wildlife and might provide opportunities to help you get out there for the photos you want (some might offer free help; some might want some pay - which is fair if they are going to help you out in the field).

Furthermore those above groups have likely got access to land where you can shoot. Many areas there are not huge open access aresa; so the only access is over private land. So of course you must seek proper permissions or find those who have them to gain legal safe access.

Most reactions

Back