Any AE-1 users want to tell me the quality of these lenses.

DSLR noob

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
IMG_0130.jpg

I just got a Canon AE-1 from my grandfather who passed away in December and I want to carry on his legacy with his camera. First of all, I am not selling anything, but I would like an appraisal if anyone knows of what kind of money this equipment would bring. Also any personal experience with these products or interesting info you may know.

- Canon AE-1 near mint condition, lightly used, chipped battery cover door & missing foam where mirror swings up.
- Canon 28mm f/2.8
- Canon 50mm f/1.8
- Auto Sears MC 135mm F/2.8 w/ built in lens hood
- Vivitar Series 1 (has red ring like an L series would have)
70mm-210mm f/2.8-f/4.0 Macro 1:2.5x (in box, never used, gift from a professional photographer)
- Hakura 62mm (A1) Skylight Filter
- DeJur Amsco 5 - B Light Meter
- Sears 330 External Flash

Looks like a great collection of gear :thumbup:

Yeah, got it all today. I plan on shooting with it. It'll be my first film camera and first roll of film (ISO 400), I hope I don't over/under expose everything >.<.

I inherited my AE-1 from relatives as well, and my father has an AE-1 Program.

You've got a nice collection of FD glass.. the 28/2.8 is a nice wide lens, you'll like it alot.

The 50/1.8 is the standard "kit lens" these cameras came with... it's nice for what it is, but not outstanding. The bokeh you get with 5 aperture blades is mediocre. (I use it mostly for reverse-mounted macro shots with my compact digital P&S). You can probably source out a 50mm f/1.4 (Super Spectra Coated) for fairly cheap nowadays.. it's a much better lens.

As for the Vivitar Series One, it's a nice lens. I've used a 28-105mm f/2.8-3.8, and the build quality on these is very good. (They were marketed as direct competitors to the L-series Canon lenses.) The only drawback is, as it's a varifocal lens you have to continually refocus if you zoom in or out. Other than that, it's very nice.

I can't comment much about the flash or lightmeter, although I can definitely see where a lightmeter would come in handy with an old film body like the AE-1.. although the built-in lightmeter is pretty accurate under usual conditions.. ASA 400 should suit it just fine for everyday shooting.

One other thing, make sure you replace the mirror foam ASAP, it's not worth the risk of shattering the mirror.

You can get the entire camera refoamed/resealed for a reasonable price at a local camera shop, or buy a foam kit from ebay and do it yourself!

The guy at the camera shop said that never in 35 years has he heard of a mirror shattering with no foam, it's an urban legend to get camera shops more money. It is only there to prevent a loud click. He did give me a lens cap and a body cap for free as well. He said the foam WOULD cost me $60 but that I shouldn't replace it unless it was bothering me. He also said that these cameras normally make a really annoying squeak upon pressing the shutter button, that mine does not and that it's good. He said that the Vivitar lens is in a ridiculously good condition, and gave me quotes on the equipments worth.

I'd never heard of the mirror foam being a problem in these...although with professional use...I suppose it could wear out. The foam shutter seals on my old EOS 650 were a problem...they turn into goo and get all over the shutter...nothing a little lighter fluid couldn't take care of though.

I have heard of the shutter squeak on the AE-1...if yours doesn't have it, that's probably a good thing. Lucky you.

Looks like you have a great new kit...now get out there and use it. I was very close to buying one of these because of all the great glass on the used market.

$60 is very steep for what amounts to a bit of foam. I was quoted $12 at the local camera store to get it done over lunch. Honestly, with a set of tweezers, you could do it yourself. Other than that, be careful with the lens off, because at this age, the foam is very prone to disintegrating with even the slightest friction.

The Canon "shutter squeak" is a known issue with the A-1/AE-1/AE-1 Program cameras.. it has to do with a part of the mirror mechanism needing lubrication. It's a pain to get the part that needs oiling... thankfully, both you and I own cameras that haven't suffered from this... yet.

Here's to keeping our fingers crossed!

I'd replace the mirror buffer foam if I were you, if only to make it a bit quieter. I recently did my old AV-1 with a kit from a guy in the US on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....Sell_LogicX&refwidgettype=cross_promot_widget

This is a link to the UK ebay site but I'm sure if you search on his ebay id you'll find him - It doesn't take much doing and as long as you take your time and follow the excellent instructions it will cost you about $6 :)

I've never heard of a mirror breaking myself, also it's not the mirror itself that hits the top of the camera but the metal clips that hold it in place usually.

I enjoy using my old AV-1 - I have the 50 f/1.8 and a 200 f/3.5 and for what i paid for them I certainly can't complain about the quality of images from them.

Have fun!!

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back