Any Better?

Discussion in 'Specific Technical Assistance' started by silver163, Jul 7, 2007.

1. silver163

silver163 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I been trying to get a "clean" black and white conversion. I dont know what to do with the exposure and such as, any ideas on how to salvage this photo?

[​IMG]

2. his4ever

his4ever TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Here is a site that has helped me a lot when it comes to burning and dodging.
    http://blog.epicedits.com/2007/07/02/photoshop-tip-non-destructive-burning-and-dodging/

I find that your sky is overexposed and so are some of the buildings. You may like that... and that is cool with me.

Also... it looks like the train is going to fall off the edge of the earth so you need to rotate the picture a little to save the train from certain distruction. But if it is art and it is part of the picture... then it is great.

Just my thoughts :D

3. silver163

silver163 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Is this any better?

[​IMG]

4. his4ever

his4ever TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I like the first one better becuase the bottom part is not so dark. The sky is still very overexposed... but that might be alright... someone with better knowledge on these sort of pictures may have something better to say than me :D.

I have to say... because you did not rotate the picture soon enough... the train is offcially falling out of the frame. All those poor poor people. :D

Anyways... since it you said ok to edit on your thing... I tried to do some doging and burning. Sadly my attempt came out a little gray... but there is still some black and white and also I hope the eyes are drawn to the train. I think is shows some of the action that goes on in big cities like Chicago and New York.

[​IMG]

The sky is a bummer. It is so white and distracting. Try this shot again on a partly cloudy day with a polerizer... and it will be dramatic. I love the buildings and all the textures that they have. Also this seems like it can become a sort of vintage kind of picture.

Just my thoughts! :D You may be totaly thinking something different and I do not want to deter you from that. Everything I have said is just a suggestion and I really do not know what I am talking about.

5. silver163

silver163 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    wow, how did you do that? i tried it with the burn tool but it all turned out so dark. what program? gimp?

6. his4ever

his4ever TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I used gimp... go to that web site I mentioned above. They have a tutorial on how to avoid using the burn tool. There is also painting at 50% to get a lighter burning as well.

I selected the sky and made it into another layer and made it gray. Then I lowered the opacity of that layer so that it would almost look natural.

I burned everything from the train up. The train was not burned. I burned also the river because the reflection began to be distracting. There was the bridge to the right I did a light burning so that it would not be so white. Try it... it is fun to experiment with and it really makes pictures pop.

Here is a photo I did when I first discovered the burning technique a few days ago. You will first see the old photo and then the burned version to the end. I used the burning to accent the shadows that were already there and then I also was able to darken the sky and bring out the defintion in the clouds.
    http://thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=86603

Hope this helps! :D