Any car guys/gals in the house?

Oh yeah for sure. Exhaust pieces aren't threaded so if the head of the bolt is snapped off than it will allow the header to slap against the block in time with the exhaust.
BUT... when operating at say 2500 RPM, there are going to be 1250 exhaust strokes per minute which translates into just over 150 a second.

Well. If you listen to the exhaust as you accelerate, you can hear BRUM...BRUM...BRUM..BRUM..BRUM.BRUM.BRUM.BUMBUMBUMBUM, and the tick seems in line with that.

When the engine is full roar, around 2.5K, you can't really distinguish it, inside or out.

It's of course possible, if not likely, that the tap I'm hearing at load is unrelated.

I would say the odds are high that it's related somehow, but at 143K, there are a LOT of things that could be causing a noise. Pick up a mechanic's stethoscope and see if you can localize the noise.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I know the bolts are broken, the question is if the tick is consistent with that.
I'm always one for needing to fix something that's broken. I also have no idea what car repair costs. So, sorry if I'm being dense/ignorant, but why not fix the broken bolts (assuming they're not outrageously expensive to fix)? If that doesn't solve the ticking, at least you'll have non-broken bolts... :p

I know the bolts are broken, the question is if the tick is consistent with that.
I'm always one for needing to fix something that's broken. I also have no idea what car repair costs. So, sorry if I'm being dense/ignorant, but why not fix the broken bolts (assuming they're not outrageously expensive to fix)? If that doesn't solve the ticking, at least you'll have non-broken bolts... :p

Ever try to extract broken bolts out of an engine block? Its a horrible massive pain in the ass. Unless of course you have a subaru and all the exhaust manifold bolts are located on the bottom on the engine. :D

Oh yeah for sure. Exhaust pieces aren't threaded so if the head of the bolt is snapped off than it will allow the header to slap against the block in time with the exhaust.
BUT... when operating at say 2500 RPM, there are going to be 1250 exhaust strokes per minute which translates into just over 150 a second.

Well. If you listen to the exhaust as you accelerate, you can hear BRUM...BRUM...BRUM..BRUM..BRUM.BRUM.BRUM.BUMBUMBUMBUM, and the tick seems in line with that.

When the engine is full roar, around 2.5K, you can't really distinguish it, inside or out.

It's of course possible, if not likely, that the tap I'm hearing at load is unrelated.

Starting to think it's a valve issue at this point. If it's RPM dependent and happens even when the engine is cold. Exhaust leaks/issues tend to get worse as things heat up and expand.

Ever try to extract broken bolts out of an engine block? Its a horrible massive pain in the ass. Unless of course you have a subaru and all the exhaust manifold bolts are located on the bottom on the engine. :D
I have not, but I do have a Subaru. Haha. That makes sense. Just wasn't sure if it was feasible to replace or not.

...Ever try to extract broken bolts out of an engine block? Its a horrible massive pain in the ass. Unless of course you have a subaru and all the exhaust manifold bolts are located on the bottom on the engine. :D
Life is much easier if you pull the block. If there's any stud left, MiG a bolt onto it, soak it with penetrating oil and hope for the best. Chances are it won't give up in which case, cut it off, grind flush, and drill the old stud out. Replace with a Heli-coil.

A muffler professional reports "most of the bolts are broken" and you come here to a photographer hangout for advice?
scritch-scratch.gif
Photographers can't know something about mechanics?
Something, maybe. Who knows, maybe there's even a professional mechanic who is also a photographer and a member here. But given the vast resources of the Internet, the last place I would ask a mechanical question, especially one about a ticking noise with no known source other than under the vehicle somewhere, would be a photo forum. It's not like there aren't any automotive forums populated by enthusiasts and experts.

But hey, I don't want to ruin anyone's fun. It's certainly not against the rules, as far as I know. If I had a problem with my car, I'd be asking at JeepKJ.com; if it were a problem with my floor, I'd go to TheFloorPro.com; if I had health related problems, I might try eHealthForums.com - there are a million forums for a million issues. That's just me. They pretty much all have a general chat forum where you can ask about anything unrelated. Getting the right answer is not very good odds though.

I'm not an expert, I just play one on the internet.

.... If I had a problem with my car, I'd be asking at JeepKJ.com; if it were a problem with my floor, I'd go to TheFloorPro.com; if I had health related problems, I might try eHealthForums.com - there are a million forums for a million issues. That's just me. They pretty much all have a general chat forum where you can ask about anything unrelated. Getting the right answer is not very good odds though.
People are different... If I had those problems, I would likely consult a mechanic, a flooring contractor, or a doctor. The problem with any forum, anywhere, is that anyone can be an expert! ;)

The problem with any forum, anywhere, is that anyone can be an expert! ;)
Not on my flooring forum. The experts are real, live experts in their fields - they have to prove it before getting that level of membership. The pros who share their knowledge on the Jeep KJ forum I belong to are also known and respected in the industry. I'm just saying it's not the 1990s anymore. We can't categorize the level of expertise and professionalism of forums so broadly anymore. Facebook, yes, unfortunately.

Most reactions

Back