Any comment on Nikon D80?

Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am a new guys in digital photography. I have been using my Nikon FM-2 for the last 15 years. Well, it was a long debating between Digital and Film. I am sure a lot of guys went thru. this too.

Well, now, I have decided to test water in Digital. I am looking at the Nikon D80. Any comments?

For those went thru the self-debate between the "Film" and "Digital", I love to hear from you TOO.

I bought the Nikon D80 back in Oct. I hate to say I haven't used it as much as I wanted to, but so far I LOVE it!
I too had a film before (Nikon F65) and I wanted to get into digital. I like to be able to view my images as soon as I take the photo.
I'd recommend it!

I love my D80. However, most of the new Digital SLRs will take really good pictures. They coice comes down to:

1. What lenses, if any, you already own (Cannon? Nikon?)
2. What price you want to pay?
3. How the camera feels in your hand.

Go out and try out several of the newer digital SLRs, and see which one feels "right", and helps you get the best picture. Remember, getting a good picture isn't about technical specs (again, all of the recent D-SLRs take good pictures), it's about what tool (camera) feels right and helps *you* take good pictures.

Don't buy before you try.

Be sure to understand that the D80 only works with AF lenses. It won't boot without a CPU in the lens. You may or may not have used AF lenses with your FM2 but just know that. If you want to use manual focus lenses you will need to find a D70 or D50 or step up to the D200.

Personally I, like the others, find the D80 perfectly satisfactory.

"Well, it was a long debating between Digital and Film"

I forgot to mention, if you enjoy shooting film, and find that you like digital as well, why not shoot both? They really are different mediums, with different strengths and weaknesses. Other than expense (which can be a big reason), why not shoot sometimes with film, and sometimes with digital...and sometimes with both?

I migrated to digital recently. Same thing. Loved film. Digital is a different beast. Try not to get caught in the quantity over quality frame of mind and your digital shots will come out just as nicely as your film.

Definitely go to a camera shop and handle the camera before you buy it. I was ready to buy this camera until I held it. It wasn't "awful" by any means, but it wasn't quite solid enough for me either.

Most reactions

Back