Any Doctors or Pharmacists on here?

W.Y.Photo

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I went to the doctor today as I have been having breathing trouble lately. The breathing trouble started back in April this year and was originally attributed to stress or anxiety due to final exams and my upcoming graduation, but the problem was going away so at my doctors in april they told me that I should return if the problems persisted.

Now the breathing problem has come back, as I now live in NYC I have visited a new doctor about the issue and he gave me a list of over the counter things to take that he said would help.

The items are:

Thiamine (Vitamin B-1)
5-HTP
Magnesium Ciliate

after a some quick research I have seen that this 5-HTP is a new supplement and that there are some very serious health issues that could be caused by its use and that Magnesium Ciliate is a laxative.

My questions are how in the world is a laxative supposed to reduce stress or help me breath better and why in the world did my doctor recommend a possibly dangerous new over-the-counter medicine for a benign problem like this? Did this doctor just not know what he is doing?

I talked to my pharmacist and she believes the risks of 5-HTP far outway the benefits and she also had no clue as to why a laxative would be prescribed to me for breathing problems.

I hope someone on here has some insight on this sort of stuff.. I'm so confused.

Don't be confused.

from webmd:

5-HTP (5-Hydroxytryptophan) is a chemical by-product of the protein building block L-tryptophan. It is also produced commercially from the seeds of an African plant (Griffonia simplicifolia).

Don’t use 5-HTP until more is known. 5-HTP might be UNSAFE. Some people who have taken it have come down with eosinophilia-myalgia syndrome (EMS), a serious condition involving extreme muscle tenderness (myalgia) and blood abnormalities (eosinophilia). Some people think the EMS might be caused by an accidental ingredient (contaminant) in some 5-HTP products. But there is not enough scientific evidence to know if EMS is caused by 5-HTP, a contaminant, or some other factor. Until more is known, avoid taking 5-HTP.

5-HTP is used for sleep disorders, depression, anxiety, migraine and tension-type headaches, fibromyalgia, binge eating associated with obesity, premenstrual syndrome (PMS), premenstrual dysphoric disorder (PMDD), attention deficit-hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), and along with prescription drugs to treat seizure disorder and Parkinson's disease.

Magnesium citrate is an alternative to taking Milk of Magnesia and is really for those who may have 'magnesium deficiency.' This is a favorite diagnosis in alternative medicine and has the real problem that traditional medicine thinks it very rarely occurs.

Although you may not get enough magnesium from your diet, it’s rare to be truly deficient in magnesium. Certain medical conditions, however, can upset the body's magnesium balance. For example, an intestinal virus that causes vomiting or diarrhea can cause temporary magnesium deficiencies. Some gastrointestinal diseases (such as irritable bowel syndrome or IBS and ulcerative colitis), diabetes, pancreatitis, hyperthyroidism (high thyroid hormone levels), kidney disease, and taking diuretics can lead to deficiencies. Too much coffee, soda, salt, or alcohol, as well as heavy menstrual periods, excessive sweating, and prolonged stress can also lower magnesium levels.

Symptoms of magnesium deficiency may include agitation and anxiety, restless leg syndrome (RLS), sleep disorders, irritability, nausea and vomiting, abnormal heart rhythms, low blood pressure, confusion, muscle spasm and weakness, hyperventilation, insomnia, poor nail growth, and even seizures.

Clearly your new doctor favors alternative diagnosis and cures.
If printed materials from reputable sources tell you that what your doctor has suggested is crazy, believe them.

Have you been to an allergist?
You might ask about adult onset asthma which would not be surprising in a city environment.
Adult-Onset Asthma Symptoms, Treatments, Causes, Types, and More

I am not a physician nor do I give medical advice. Anything I say is from the viewpoint of someone who was in the medical environment for 30+ years.

Thanks traveler that magnesium info is great. I understand why he suggested that now, I think I'm gunna stear clear of the 5-HTP as I am a fairly small person who is working on getting biggere and muscle disorder does not sound to appealing for that reason, not to mention working out helps me breath better as well.

Something I failed to mention is that he also recommended I visit a lung doctor and gave me a number to call which I will be doing tomorrow. He was just suggesting treatment for if It does turn out to be stress related.

If you are taking any supplements or steroids for bulking up, these can have drastic effects.
If you are going to a 'lung doctor' make certain the person you see is either a certified pulmonologist or allergist-immunologist, not some gp who has decided that lungs seem like a nice clean specialty.
There are lots of great hospitals in NYC and whomever you see should have privileges at one of them. The hospital will have done the accrediting for you.
I'm not a fan of alternative medicine.

Me either!! Thanks again.

suppliments are very dangerous and should not be taken unless a real docotor has told you to do so. Any benefits you get from a supplement can be gained by eating a better diet.

Thanks for the warning; however, he was a real doctor. I just thought he was out of his mind. Turns out I'm wrong.

Thanks for the warning; however, he was a real doctor. I just thought he was out of his mind. Turns out I'm wrong.

I would wonder about anyone who prescribes potentially dangerous things like 5-http without a clear diagnosis.

I would have much stress and anxiety living in NYC too.

Eh, It actually calms me down being around so much activity. I can't stand being bored or not staying busy. I have ADHD so I've gotta keep busy otherwise I start wasting time on useless stuff like netflix and stop using my time wisely. Then that procrastination is what would cause real anxiety. :cower:

This isn't medical advice either, just personal observation. I have allergies to mould, mildew, and a bunch of other things, but mostly to ragweed. An allergist was virtually no help. Over the counter medication helped but over time the effect wears off and you have to change ingredients. Twenty years ago, a change in my life affected my diet and the seasonal allergies cleared up! Looking at the change in diet, I thought it was a shift away from beef. During the last couple of years my diet has drifted and that lead me to determine it was not the beef, but the bun the beef was wrapped in. So, this year, no wheat, and no allergy symptoms, but I can enjoy beef. There are a couple of books, one written by a heart doctor and another written by a sufferer, that suggest wheat causes problems for more people than those that suffer Celiac desease.
A segment of the population is lactose intolerant. A segment is allergic to peanuts. Some individuals have specific sensitivities, others don't. We are what we eat, and what we eat may not be good for us. Most doctors won't examine your diet. But you should. As strange as it may sound, fixing your diet may help.

Good input CameraClicker!! Thanks.

Allergists typically scrutinize your diet very closely.
There are a variety of test regimens and will often work with dieticians to construct a diet.
My wife went through an elimination diet with her allergist/immunologist and dietician to localize on her problems.

suppliments are very dangerous and should not be taken unless a real docotor has told you to do so. Any benefits you get from a supplement can be gained by eating a better diet.

Does this include vitamins though? I bought a B-complex vitamin for the thiamine as I figured it would be a good source of that and other B vitamins that have been previously recommended to me by my therapist for my ADHD.

I won't lie, I don't have the best diet, I just focus on protein and carbs a lot as I'm a skinny dude in the process of putting on some extra muscle, otherwise I eat whatever I feel like eating.

Does this include vitamins though? I bought a B-complex vitamin for the thiamine as I figured it would be a good source of that and other B vitamins that have been previously recommended to me by my therapist for my ADHD.

I won't lie, I don't have the best diet, I just focus on protein and carbs a lot as I'm a skinny dude in the process of putting on some extra muscle, otherwise I eat whatever I feel like eating.

A therapist should NOT be recommending dietary suppliments.

Vitamins should only be used if your medical doctor recommends it based on your history. Most people in a developed country get all their daily amount of vitamins in their meals. Older and pregnant women do need things like calcium, iron and prenatal vitamins as it's the best way to get vitamins that are hard to find in foods.

The biggest problem with vitamins is the fact that they are untested and unregulated. The manufacturers can make any claims they want in the label without fear of repercussions. There have been cases where companies had actually put sawdust in capsules instead of the herbs. Also remember when people were dying because they took too much ephedra? This was because there was no regulations on dosage and the effects.

Other dangers are what too much vitamins can do to you. I've seen vitamin C suppliments that are 10x the daily amount. The simple way to see it is that once you reach the amount you need the rest gets pissed out. The risk is that over prolonged use your kidneys and liver will get damaged filtering this excess out.

So eat healthy, fruits and green vegetables will give you all the vitamins you will ever need. This is unless your Doctor (not therapist, massage lady, vitamin store clerk etc..) tells you otherwise.

P.s. You think big pharmaceutical companies are dirty money hungry bastards you should see the suppliment business. They are a many billions a year industry that has lobbyists fighting to keep their shame products unregulated.

Most reactions

Back