Any easy way to replicate this effect?

zaroba

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Was at a local conservatory in December, walking around and taking pics of the snowy ground in the below freezing temperature. Then I walked into the hot humid greenhouse. My lens fogged up. But not before I took this picture of some tropical plants.

xxx.JPG

I love it. I think it makes it look more like a humid tropical rainforest.
So, what I am wondering, is there an easy way to replicate this effect as needed?
(aside from numerous trips outside or breathing on the lens, lol)

If you want to spend money, there's 'fog filters' available.

Was at a local conservatory in December, walking around and taking pics of the snowy ground in the below freezing temperature. Then I walked into the hot humid greenhouse. My lens fogged up. But not before I took this picture of some tropical plants.

View attachment 96594

I love it. I think it makes it look more like a humid tropical rainforest.
So, what I am wondering, is there an easy way to replicate this effect as needed?
(aside from numerous trips outside or breathing on the lens, lol)
The way we did it "back in the day": Stretch a nylon over the lens. Try a variety of nylon colors (black and white primarily), fabric type and thickness, and amount of stretch to get smaller or larger holes in the fabric for various effects.

It can also be done in post processing by adding a "foggy" layer over the top, and changing the opacity to taste.

Last edited:
The way we did it "back in the day": Stretch a nylon over the lens. Try a variety of nylon colors (black and white primarily), fabric type and thickness, and amount of stretch to get smaller or larger holes in the fabric for various effects.

It can also be done in post processing by adding a "foggy" layer over the top, and changing the opacity to taste.
^^Yep.^^ Or, using this special filter overlay material.

Cokin's Fog Filter works pretty well, and is pretty repeatable. Their Diffuser 080 (the old number was 080 IMMSMC) looks similar, but is not quite the same. One thing to keep in mind though is that filters like diffusers and fog filters work a bit differently on wide-angles and normals than they do on longer focal length lenses, so the effects are not as consistent as one might expect.

A cheap alternative is to take a UV or clear filter, and mist it with hairspray, by spraying the stuff above the filter, and allowing it to fall through the air 8-10 inches or so, forming very small micro-droplets on the filter's surface.

Tiffen still has a number of diffusion and fog and dream-effect type filters in its product matrix

You can also take a sandwich baggie, and rip a hole in the end of it, and slide that onto the front of the lens, and shoot through the torn parts, with a very small central area "open", and get some cool effects--similar to the Vaseline effect tirediron mentioned, but without the petroleum jelly issues.

Applyting the fog/diffusion effect in software is the newer way, and there are a number of ways to do it.

I had my youngest grandson leave fingerprints on a lens. When I went to take some photos I thought there was some deal with the sunlight coming from the side causing a haze and when I looked at the shot on the back of the camera noticed the soft focus, that is when I saw the smeared fingerprints on the lens. Decided to take a few more shots of the granddaughter before cleaning the lens and they have a nice soft focus look. The effect was similar to what is in your shot and cleanup was simple.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back