Any electronic's folk wanna lend a hand?

Ls3D

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.shea-design.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm building a stepper motor driver to experiment with panning my camera using a 40:1 reducer etc, stepper driver, etc...

I soldered up as much as I could ID, but I'm not 100% on my last 3 resistors... :blushing:

If someone can match them up I can complete this circuit and start testing pans tonight :thumbup: Tips on orientation appreciated as well, I think I have them reading left to right... and would match the letter direction on the board right?

P.S. Please don't look behind the curtain, it is a shame what I shot this with... Many thanks,

-Shea

EDIT: I may have it using this site, feel free to look for errors...

Last edited:
Well the middle image of your resistors is your 470 ohm (R1), yellow (4), violet (7), brown (1x0's) = 470.

The bottom image is your 5.6k (R4), green (5), blue (6), red (2x0's) = 5600 ohms = 5.6k

the top image is your 56k (R5), green (5), blue (6), orange (3x0's) = 56000 ohms = 56k

sure that's right. orientation with resistors doesn't matter, stick them in anyway. The method you used to identify them is correect though :)

Ah, that old saying.

"Bad Beer Rots Our Young Guts But Vodka Goes Well"

Yeah I was searching what is left of my memory for some ole mnemonic... thanks!

She is up and running, just had to flip the LED power light - I was able to recall that it is a Diode and thus has an orientation in the circuit...

Lucky me the motor is spinning very slowly with lots of torque, I just hope the vibration is not a problem. Sweet HD pans to follow...

Thanks again!

-Shea

I have a lot less faminly forum safe mnemonic for it...but I never forget anymore!

(Just google "but Violet goes willingly" if you want to know :p)

I'm building a stepper motor driver to experiment with panning my camera using a 40:1 reducer etc, stepper driver, etc...

I soldered up as much as I could ID, but I'm not 100% on my last 3 resistors... :blushing:

If someone can match them up I can complete this circuit and start testing pans tonight :thumbup: Tips on orientation appreciated as well, I think I have them reading left to right... and would match the letter direction on the board right?

P.S. Please don't look behind the curtain, it is a shame what I shot this with... Many thanks,

-Shea

EDIT: I may have it using this site, feel free to look for errors...

My god, man! You are unbelievably intelligent... You work is amazing, and you are good at so many things.. I'm the furthest thing from gay, but damn, man, you're smart.

A sexy mind is a terrible thing to taste! Thanks for the sideways complement - it would not be the first time I've heard; Shea, if you just had tits you'd be perfect :lmao:

I was going to race out and capture my first power pan, but your attention deserves a quick DIY scoop (17 Mb quicktime) of tonight's arm chair engineering. Listen to the motor towards the end,.. when I pan back and switch I am reversing the direction. One take.

I don't know if you caught this post, but if you are interested in 5DmII video have a gander.

I'll probably add some practical application type footage latter tonight... the pan of my room is to invasive. :greenpbl:

-Shea

EDIT: Good ole Violet, I'm sure my dad taught me that around the same time Frank Zappa and the Mother's of Invention where fresh, George Carlin, Catch 22 the movie - all exposed a bit early... perhaps this is why I'm so abstract at times. Cheers.

Last edited:
Good stuff.. good to see it working.

Will keep an eye out for some video when you post it.

The only thing I'd use video for is doing that whole perspective change thing. You know in the movies the camera is far away say zoomed in, then the camera gets closer but zooms out to a wide angle.. subject is the same size in the frame but the perspective changes? I'd try that then I'd get bored :lol:

Video looks good from your post there, especially at night it seems to cope quite well.

Ah yes the Hitchcock effect, I would need a shopping cart for that one as it is a straight truck out while closing the FOV.

I pulled some pans last night and the movement is very clean... it is kinda fun to shoot the same pan rate then cross fade the cuts from different locations.

Now if it were just sunrise at Bryce Canyon,... no video, just time lapse pans with precise incremental control... then cross dissolve to Arches, Moab, Snowbird...

BTW - I need to modify this circuit for pulse step if you have any thoughts. I'd like to be able to translate 5 degrees or so... The motor is a 1.8 degree per step (200 steps per 360) although the controller can double that resolution with half steps. Even a small 1- 10 second relay would probably be accurate enough. Then set to trigger 30 seconds after exposure and I could take a nap. :lol:

-Shea

Most reactions

Back