Any helpful hints?

Discussion in 'The Professional Gallery' started by Josiah, Feb 22, 2006.

1. Josiah

Josiah TPF Noob!

Hey guys, I'm going to be taking photos of a friend of mine sometime next week. She wants a headshot for auditioning in theatre, but she said I can experiment because i'm still learning and she will be my third subject for a portrait. She also said that basically she is willing to do pretty much anything, and that she was putting me in control. I'm really looking forward to it, lol also a bit nervous. Anyone have any suggestions for like starting out poses, to like make her more comfortable and relaxed? Any other suggestions for something like this would be nice too:D Thanks guys!
    Cheers!

2. wxnut

wxnut TPF Noob!

I go to this site (contains nudity) to get some "starting off" ideas
    http://www.onemodelplace.com/

I start the shoot out with those poses I picked out and studied, from there things usually just fall into place. The main this is to show confidence even if your not. That will keep her a little more relaxed. Another thing... tell her to go through some magazines and find a couple poses she likes and bring them along to the shoot.

Doug Raflik

3. craig

craig TPF Noob!

Generally I let the actor act. Especially with head shots. For me lighting is the key.

4. Rob

Rob TPF Noob!

Use props to involve your subject with something. Avoid cluttered backgrounds. As Craig says, get the lighting right!

Rob

5. Josiah

Josiah TPF Noob!

Hey guys, thanks for the advice! I'm planning to do the shoot during the day to try and make use of as much natural light as possible. I've done a shoot in the evening and so it was just basically lights in the room and a couple of desk lamps. The desk lamps were really harsh however, and didn't give as nice an effect as I had hoped.
    wxnut, good site:D I also sent her some of my previous shots and asked her to start thinking of poses she'd like to try as well.
    Thanks for the suggestions:mrgreen:
    Cheers!