Any Hope....Water Vs. Camera

BigCappa

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
A few months ago my Canon Rebel 2000 eos(35mm) fell into the surf out of my backpack(the top unzipped) and was in the water for a bit until I noticed it was gone. Is there any chance of this getting repaired. I'm not hopeful but I figured I would ask.

Thanks,

Dave

I dropped a cellphone in a bucket of ice water while sleeping one time, and it stayed in there for over an hour. (long story)

I managed to revive it by using a blowdryer on it and letting it airdry for a day. Hopefully you didn't try turning it on (would probably short it). There IS hope though.

I totally feel your pain. The other day I went to Sea World. I went on the ride Journey to Atlantis and they told me to put my camera on the floor. I never had been on the ride, but I sat in the back where all the water runs to submerging $5000 of equipment. I know it's partly my fault, but they had no lockers to put it in and I wasn't about to leave it by itself for someone to steal. Anyway, my Nikon D200 won't work. At least my D300 is working.

I took it Ritz for repair. Unfortunately I have had it for a couple years, and no warranty.

At least with film, you have less electronics so it might be easily repaired. However, it might cost you just as much as buying a new one.

Electronics and water are interesting. A lot of lower voltage electronics will work if you let them dry COMPLETELY before turning them back on. Some will even work if they're wet when you turn it back on.

Cameras, however, are ridiculously sensitive devices with a lot of moving parts as well as fragile electronics AND that sensor.

You also have the compounded issue of having the camera be in the surf... in other words SALT water and possibly even some sand.

On a guess, I'd say your camera is pretty much boned. Sorry. :(

You might try and rinse the camera with distilled water to get rid of the salt water and sand. Then let it dry out completely for a few days. Distilled water has no conductivity so it wont harm the electronics. And at this point it wont do any more damage too.

I had something similar happen to my P&S. I dried it out and it seemed to work ok for a month or so. After that strange things stated to happen. If I turn it on and off 100 times I can get a good photo out of it. Anyway, if you get it to work don't rely on it for important situations without a backup.

Thanks guys for all the input and thank Smith2688 that would be more than likely cheaper than repair so i need to just decide if I'm going to replace it with that body or save a lil and get a dslr which is what i want ;).

-Dave

I have heard that the salt water will cause much worse damage than regular water and ice, so most likely you will be better with a new camera rather than paying for repair. think about how salt water affects cars when you live near the sea. its the same thing I think when it comes in contact with your camera

You might try and rinse the camera with distilled water to get rid of the salt water and sand. Then let it dry out completely for a few days. Distilled water has no conductivity so it wont harm the electronics. And at this point it wont do any more damage too.

Distilled water will still have some conductivity (0.0001-0.001 mS/cm)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back