jocose

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.musingsofjocose.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Folks,

I have applied for a job in Pickens County, SC. I'm a city boy, having been raised in Baltimore and currently living in Washington, DC.

I was wondering if there is anyone on the Forum that knows anything about that area and what I would be getting myself into if I accepted (OK, so I need to get an interview first, but hey, it's fun to think and plan and scheme, right?).

Thanks.

oh boy where to begin!!!!!

pickens county is basically the country bro, its nothing like baltimore. at all.

6% urban
94% rural(really really rural)

the upside is you will have so much to take pictures of, you wont even notice bubba and his butt buddies creeping up behind you.

you are a hop skip and a jump from clemson university. GROAN.

crime is a lot lower for some reason, probably all the pot smoke... :)

mainly 25-40 year olds. I love going here in the fall and winter to take pics and eat a good meal. youll get really fat. :)

HAWT summers. And humidity like you've never experienced. But a good state all in all. You're plenty close enough to the mountains and Georgia to make weekend trips either way.

the job is actually at Clemson U. so that is the general area.

A lot of pictures, eh? Sadly, so far I've really only taken pics of urban stuff...but I guess that would be good for a change.

Muggy? Humidity? I live in DC...it's aweful here. And I spent a very sweaty summer in Jupiter, FL, working in a sweat shop...oh, sorry I mean scene shop, with no a/c.

jocose said:
the job is actually at Clemson U. so that is the general area.

A lot of pictures, eh? Sadly, so far I've really only taken pics of urban stuff...but I guess that would be good for a change.

Muggy? Humidity? I live in DC...it's aweful here. And I spent a very sweaty summer in Jupiter, FL, working in a sweat shop...oh, sorry I mean scene shop, with no a/c.

humidity is actually worse in SC, trust me and hobbes..we wouldnt steer you wrong.

clemson is a beautiful college and you will like it! plenty of open air and mountains thats for sure!

you are a small distance from greenville and spartanburg if you want a little urbanness...

Oh, I believe you guys, I'm just saying that you shouldn't discredit DC summers ;)

Well, the truth is that I'm putting the cart before the horse since they haven't called me yet for an interview...but I'm hopeful.

Thanks for the tips, and I'll keep you posted.

Hey, if it's that rural, do you think I could find a place to ride a mechanical bull? That's on my list of things to do before I die. My brother-in-law went to Spain years ago and ran with the bulls, but I'm not sure I'm that brave.

jocose said:
Oh, I believe you guys, I'm just saying that you shouldn't discredit DC summers ;)

Well, the truth is that I'm putting the cart before the horse since they haven't called me yet for an interview...but I'm hopeful.

Thanks for the tips, and I'll keep you posted.

Hey, if it's that rural, do you think I could find a place to ride a mechanical bull? That's on my list of things to do before I die. My brother-in-law went to Spain years ago and ran with the bulls, but I'm not sure I'm that brave.

the correct way to phrase the bull question:

"is there a place that DOESNT have a mechanical bull?"

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

dude, if you're a true Washingtonian, you'll die there.

i just moved from DC to nowhere, MD. i'm typing this from my grave ;)

I'm a true Baltimoron.

Actually, I'm a bit of Yankee. My folks are from Syracuse, NY. My dad got a job in DC and moved there, married my mom and brought her down here, and they bought a house in Balto. My sisters and I were born and raised there. Currently I live in DC.

Jon, you're on the Eastern Shore, right? Yuck...sorry :) That's Queen Anne's? Or Talbot? At least you aren't near Salisbury and the lovely smell of dead chickens :lmao: :lmao:

jocose said:
I'm a true Baltimoron.

Actually, I'm a bit of Yankee. My folks are from Syracuse, NY. My dad got a job in DC and moved there, married my mom and brought her down here, and they bought a house in Balto. My sisters and I were born and raised there. Currently I live in DC.

Jon, you're on the Eastern Shore, right? Yuck...sorry :) That's Queen Anne's? Or Talbot? At least you aren't near Salisbury and the lovely smell of dead chickens :lmao: :lmao:

you got that right.

i live in st michaels where everyone drives beemers and volvos. i really stand out in my 90 civic :lmao: they're already trying to get rid of me for non-conformity issues :)

Most reactions

Back