Any Nikon d5000 users? Why or Why Not?

PatrickJamesYu

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I am actually a Nikon d90 shooter, but a d5000 in good condition walked into my work and I am thinking about picking it up as a back-up/ second camera.

What's you're take on it?
I tried googling a comparison, but the reviews I read on it are just too biased.
I see that for every Nikon camera.
The people who review them, or the happy people who like them and will give it 4-5 stars.

I want to hear from some heavy camera users, your take on this camera.
Tell me everything, go!

The review sums up the cons which is the reason I soon left entry level land.

Conclusion - Cons
  • Control system rather dependant on multiple button presses
  • Contrast detect AF so slow it's useless for most types of photography (which is often the case on DSLRs)
  • No built-in AF motor restricts lens choice (though most popular lenses do work)
  • Default JPEG output soft (shoot RAW for best results)
  • Moderate screen resolution (and too reflective in bright light)
I mean if it fell in my lap would use with a prime for a compact walkabout when needed. But not a purchase as a 2nd cam. As during a shoot or backup would rather have a matching camera with identical controls & layout or close to it so it doesn't slow me down. One of the reasons I left the entry levels behind is missing shots menu digging and smaller viewfinder and lack of dedicated controls. Also having one body without a in-body motor can limit flexibility. In setting up two camera's for an event or shoot.

But hay! if it works for you and your happy with it. Then that is all that really matters.

So is the D90 NOT considered entry level? Yay haha

Okay well the d5000 basically fell into my lap.
It just doesn't have a battery or charger, so no guarantee it works.
But for the cost of a 3rd party battery and charger, I think it's totally worth the gamble.

And nope the D90 is Not entry cam. Next tier up in pro-hobbyist realm. :er:
Well great then and no real loss if it doesn't work out for you. And yep amazon has a couple of options for Oem or third party batteries & chargers.

I love my d5000 if you end up not liking it, I would be interested in purchasing it from you...

I owned a. D5000 for 7 months and I find it a reliable cam. I trade for a D300 mainly because of the LCD screen resolution is better and I need that guide. I also shoot in S, A or M mode only and the D300 is easy to switch between settings. Both are very good cam, it is only the photographer, that is me, that need to improve.

Hi, I get my D5000 last Christmas and is very happy with the camera. I took it with me last month on an extended vacation and was able to explore the capability of the D5000. I got excellent picture, good HD vedio clips, the swing LCD work at any position you want, high or low.

I did a detail comparison between D5000 and D90 before finally going for the D5000. They have the same COMS sensor, same process power, produce same picture/vedio quality. I like the swing LCD of the D5000, old lenses can be used on the D90 but not the D5000. If you have a lot of old Nikon lenses, D5000 may not be the one for you.

D5000 (and the new D5100) are the top Nikon's entry level DSLR, D90 is on the next level (intermediate, serious amateur). I like one review conclusion about D5000 "a stripe down version of the D90 with the same capability but cost less".

I also have a backup body the D60, Nikon DSLR menu and operation are more or less the same design I have no problem switching bewteen any Nikon SLR body, digital or not.

As for battery and charger, you can get the pair (aftermarket) on Amazon.com for less than US$20 (Amazon.com: FOR NIKON EN-EL9 ENEL9 REPLACEMENT BATTERY + CHARGER for SLR Camera D40 / D40x / D60 / D5000 / D3000: Electronics), not a concern to anyone.

Since you do not have the battery to test it, why not bring it either to Nikon Service center or just any store, ask them to borrow you a EN-EL9 or 9a battery and test it out.

Hope this helps.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
The D5000 was my first camera.

It is a good entry level camera. Your D90 has it beat with the features it has over the D5000. For a back up shooter, the D5000 is better than nothing!!!!

I have one, and am pretty happy with it. If I'm not mistaken, the d5000 and the d90 share the same image sensor, so image quality should be very similar. If all/most of the lenses you own have a built in focus motor, you're set.

So is the D90 NOT considered entry level?
Yes, the D90 is an entry-level body, by dint of it's 1/4000 shutter, Multi-CAM 1000 AF module, only Raw file choice of 12-bit lossy Raw, all plastic chassis, lack of a 10-pin connector, lack of a PC cable connector, and few external controls.

Most reactions

Back