Any of you street shooters use this...

thats pretty interesting. wouldnt mind getting a chance to experiment with one of those

Its use for street photography seems to be limited to me; you have to use a 75mm lens or longer to avoid vignetting and that might be a bit too long.

Reminds me of those "Super Spy" thingies they used to make as toys for kids back in the 1950's and 60's.

As kids we thought we could spy on adults and remain unseen, didn't realize that the 4" (or bigger) square end of the box with a shiny mirror in it could be seen a mile away...

Better to go into the room upstairs and remove the heating register from the floor and eavesdrop from there.

lol

I first saw something like this in a Pop-Photo Spiratone add in the mid-sixties. A school mate had one and it was very obvious to even the casual observer when he had it mounted.

As far as vignetting, on a clipped chip DSLR you might get away with a nifty-fifty, but that is still a little long. Interesting little gimmick, but worth $70.00? I'll pass.

I remember those things being sold back in the early 80s, a friend bought one to play with, the mirror wasn't exactly optical quality glass and the image quality wasn't great.

Ick. That thing has "stalker" and "underpant sneak" written all over it.

I bought a tilt screen instead, but it came with a DSLR attached and the price was higher. :lol:

skieur

Nope never have, i find sticking my lens directly in a stranger's face works quite well, you get some interesting reactions. Here's an example:

firenzeinverno2006-20072422.jpg

If its someone that looks menacing I smile first and if I feel that hasnt worked I'll ask if its ok to take a picture (half the time the results arent any good with this method though).

i still havent grown the balls to shoot people looking directly at me. if i see them looking at me through the view finder i cower away..

Nope never have, i find sticking my lens directly in a stranger's face works quite well, you get some interesting reactions.

Word. That's part of the thrill of it.

I also imagine a device like that sets up too much of an artificial barrier between yourself and your subjects. Instead of just going for it and getting the good shot, you're trying to sneak by. There are some cases, though, where I imagine it would be worthwhile. There was a photog from the 20's or so, can't remember his name, who would hide his camera in his coat as he rode the subway and photograph people's faces. Some really strange, sad stuff.

Yeah it totally defeats the point of street shooting in my opinion.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back