Any photographer knows martial art?

I train in the art of "jungle spider" One of them on your face in the middle of the night and you'll know all the karate you need. As well as some very intimidating language.

I train in the art of "jungle spider" One of them on your face in the middle of the night and you'll know all the karate you need. As well as some very intimidating language.
In survival training we called that protein for dinner. Especially the big ones. Just make sure to burn off the hairs before you eat them.

Keep in mind within certain styles, you may wish to verify the schools approach to training. In TKD for instance, after they were added to the Olympics, the schools sort of split two ways. There was the traditional teachings / training and the new schools which formed(or often older ones which shifted focus) in order to teach "Sport TKD". This version focused primarily on the improving oneself for competition. So there was more emphasis on the points system. In the Olympics, short quick kicks that barely hit counted as points. This technique although fundamentally the same style as original TKD, took much of the power out of the kicks. Great for Olympics, (you last longer exert less energy for same points) but bad for MMA for instance or self defense. (Which appears to be your goal) They still teach the self defense moves but focus less than traditional schools/ Better than nothing, but when you train with less follow through everyday, it's hard to simply adapt on the spur of the moment when you need to)

@techboy, it is great you are considering a martial art. It has way more benefit than defending oneself. The defense is just a small portion of the benefit. Physical, mental, and emotional enhancements are way more valuable than the art of defending. Keep in mind that it takes time and practice. Carefully select your place of training, if they have been in business for a long time, chances are good they instruct carefully. The place I trained at is still in business today and we're talking 70's, 80's. If you can commit, great but you have to commit or it's a waste of time and money. There are other alternatives such as self defense classes which are better for people that just want to be able protect themselves, or give themselves better odds at escape. CC license but I strongly recommend you take classes on how to use your weapon. Personally, I am a fan of being able to carry but the scary thing is, many others are carrying that shouldn't be. If you can't commit to the art, go to self defense classes. There is a very good book called "The way of the Seal" that teaches personal development.

I know Karate, Jujitsu, Taekwondo, Judo, Aikido, Muay Tai, Kung fu and a whole lot of other oriental words. Probably because I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

I did actually study Aikido. I prefer it over the others for the spiritual mentality as well as the physicality.

I studied Aikido for 14 years and love it for the same reasons. I stopped studying when I moved to an area where I couldn't find a dojo that didn't chuck the harmony path finding in favor of in-group belt/rank mongering. Which is a shame, I probably wouldn't have crippling back problems if I'd kept up with practicing (I haven't found an ab workout equivalent to doing 100 back rolls).

"Rule 408: Time is not the boss of you"

@techboy, it is great you are considering a martial art. It has way more benefit than defending oneself. The defense is just a small portion of the benefit. Physical, mental, and emotional enhancements are way more valuable than the art of defending. Keep in mind that it takes time and practice. Carefully select your place of training, if they have been in business for a long time, chances are good they instruct carefully. The place I trained at is still in business today and we're talking 70's, 80's. If you can commit, great but you have to commit or it's a waste of time and money. There are other alternatives such as self defense classes which are better for people that just want to be able protect themselves, or give themselves better odds at escape. CC license but I strongly recommend you take classes on how to use your weapon. Personally, I am a fan of being able to carry but the scary thing is, many others are carrying that shouldn't be. If you can't commit to the art, go to self defense classes. There is a very good book called "The way of the Seal" that teaches personal development.

Thanks! Isshin-Ryu is very interesting, and I can't find a school in my area. Someday, I like to try nunchaku. It looks very dangerous, but I assume it's fun to play with.

Thanks! Isshin-Ryu is very interesting, and I can't find a school in my area. Someday, I like to try nunchaku. It looks very dangerous, but I assume it's fun to play with.
I called some friends at the San Jose PD just to let them know to expect another victim in a few months. They said no big deal, it happens all the time. The call it the Dojo Joe Joe syndrome out there. They did ask however if you would do them a favor and put your choice of hospital down on a piece of paper and put it in your wallet. Makes it easier for the ambulance driver to get you to the hospital in a timely fashion.

I've done a few. I did Shotokan Karate for about 17 years, did a little TKD, Wing Chun, a couple of years of Jujitsu (not BJJ but a more modern style than traditional Jujitsu though there is crossover with BJJ) amongst other bits and bobs I've picked up. I've trained alongside Aikido guys and seen lots of other different martal arts.

Krav Maga looks pretty good and if I was going to try another that would be near the top of my list for various reasons. I'd advise against MMA or BJJ unless you want to get involved in competitive fighting or just do something to keep fit, as, in my head, they are more of a sport than a martial art. The rise in popularity of cage fighting means that a lot of the MMA and BJJ clubs are more geared towards competition fighting so you tend to practice what works in a ring and within the rules of their preferred competition. Nothing wrong with that if that's what you are looking for though.

But if I was pinned down to reccomend one style over everything else it would be Jujitsu. As a style it's very broad and contains a significant number of building blocks from other styles. It's also the most rounded martial art I've experienced. Nowadays you need to be able to fight on the ground as well as standing up so at least pick something that has elements of both, and you are going to want a style that trains with bags and pads (as it does massivley help). A style that has techniques that work both sides and a multitude of positions, keeps economy of movement and does not depend on very spesific attacks to work is good.

A good instructor is key, so make sure they are ligit, check the asscosiations they are part of and the schools they are from. Check their links to who they say they are linked with. Look for someone who will teach you to use your body and get around its limitiations. Look for variety. He best guy I trained under used to do some killer training then wrap your head in a bandage partially osbscuring or totally obscuring one eye, then you'd get put against 2 or three opponents in a controled manner. Reason being you can't expect to always use both eyes in a fight. Other times he might restrain an arm or leg etc

That's my opinion anyway.

Just get your flash ready at high power and a monopod.

Stupid. No wonder your running into issues. Really? This video is bad. Im done with this. I know a few woman that can kick my ass....

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back