Any Pre-cautions?

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by woodsac, Sep 16, 2005.

1. woodsac

woodsac TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Within the next couple of hours, I will be holding my 1st dslr :mrgreen: Here's what I got:
    Canon EOS Digital Rebel XT SLR Camera - BLACK
    Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Lens
    Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DG Macro Lens
    SanDisk 1GB Extreme III 133x CompactFlash
    Spare battery
    UV & Polarizer filters for both lenses

So, before I jump into it, is there anything I need to know about that isn't obvious? I've read about how to change the lenses to help eliminate dust, but that's about it. Any other pointers or advice? Can I just pop on a lense and start shooting once the battery is charged?

Do you recommend doing the firmware upgrade if it doesn't already have it?

Man am I excited!!!! I hope to pick up a nicer telephoto before too long. Just got this one to get me by for now. I'm also going to order a Canon 50mm f/1.8

2. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Ahh....new camera smell....mmmmmmm :D

Just charge up the battery and start playing. I always like to read through the manual and play with all the features at first...then start having fun.

Congrats!

3. woodsac

woodsac TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Great!!!! Thanks Mike.

I took your advice about the 17-85mm. I did a TON of reading and it all led to the same conclusion...try and avoid the 18-55mm kit lense and go for the 17-85mm. All the reviews about the 17-85mm make it sound like a very sharp and reliable lense. It was definately more than I wanted to spend, but it's a long term investment that I'm sure I'll be much happier with.