Any recommendations on Point & Shoot

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by megapaws, Nov 15, 2006.

1. megapaws

megapaws TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hi everyone,

My brother is looking for a new digital camera. He currently has some kind of Canon powershot from the 2.0 era I believe. He wants to get something that will actually be able to shoot fast enough to capture his little girl in action in automatic mode. I think that a DSLR would be too much for his needs, so a point and shoot is the way to go. He is willing to spend up to $800 CDN. Anyone have any suggestions. Muchly appreciated

Suzanne

2. bitteraspects

bitteraspects TPF Noob!

cybershot p200 for compact, or cybershot H series (H1, H2, H5) for slr-like.

3. rmh159

rmh159 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I think the Canon G7 gets some strong reviews though I'm not sure what the price would be in CDN.

4. megapaws

megapaws TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    thanks for the tips.... I'll pass the info along. The G7 sells for 669 CDN I believe. will all these cameras work quick enough to capture a 2 year old in action?

5. benhasajeep

benhasajeep TPF Noob!

What ever he gets make sure he tries one out first. I can't stand the shutter lag on my P&S (Nikon 8700, great camera, horrable lag). I have heard some of the p&s have gotten better but if he is going to try and catch action. He just might want to look into a D50, or Canon XT or new Pentax K110d (think lowest priced DSLR probably very good deal for money).

6. megapaws

megapaws TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thanks Benhasajeep... I also thought of recommending the Canon XT only because I am familiar with the Canon brand and he can try out my lenses. The lag in shutter is the problem that he is trying to address. Fortunately, most stores have a 15 day return policy. Thanks for the advice everyone.

7. mysteryscribe

mysteryscribe TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    he should take a look at the panasonic lz series... everyone I know who has one loves it. Lots of zoom there and im not sure about the shutter lag but I dont think anyone ever commented about it.

8. montresor

montresor TPF Noob!

Gosh, if he has a top limit of $800, that's getting into DSLR territory anyway. Why fool around? I'm seeing Canon XTi's going for $899.

9. Michael Humle

Michael Humle TPF Noob!

Based on your initial posting, your Brother wants to stay with a compact, easy to use, digital camera...before I made a jump in to a DSLR I looked at quite a few point and shoots that would give me the ease of a p&s but also give me a taste of what a DSLR might be like...I came up with the Olympus SP-350. Prices ranges from as little as $200 US to as much as $400 US. Anyway, click on the link below and read about it.

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/olympus/sp350-review/

I know, I know, I'm pushing Olympus again...sorry guys!