Any Suggestions for 70th B-day Party?

Discussion in 'The Professional Gallery' started by clemeys, Oct 13, 2005.

1. clemeys

clemeys TPF Noob!

Hello everyone, This is my first post. I just discovered this site last week and have since probably spent like ten to twenty hours in here. I absolutely love this forum especially, and have viewed most of the posts from the past year.

I may have needed to post this question on another forum, but I have spent the most of my time in this forum, and really like what a lot of you have to say. It kinda feels like I've gotten to know y'all a lil over the past week, and look forward to posting, commenting more in the future!

I'm asking quite a few questions, so even if you only have a lil' input, I'll be very grateful!!!!:hail:

My question is about shooting a 70th bday party this weekend. It is being held indoors at a banquet hall with mostly flourescent lighting and some windows. I am not sure on the size of the windows and I won't get to check them out 'til the day before. I'm using two Canon 350D's with a wide angle, 18-55, 35-105, and my buddie's 200mm Canon lense w/ image stabalization and my tripod. The problem is that I have no flash except for the built in. I will mostly be shooting a photo journalistic style, but they do want some posed shots so I have to set up an area w/ a backdrop or something. I was thinking of setting it beside one of the windows, and using some kind of makeshift reflector to light from the other side, with the on camera for a fill. What white balance setting should I use w/ a combo of window daylight and flourscent and on camera flash? Also, what do you reccommed for the reflector? I've read on this forum of people using poster board, the car windshield reflectors, and sheets. I probably won't have an assistant so it will need to be positioned and stationary. Also, which lense would you use? Does anyone know about using the image stabilizer on the 200mm - I've read that I can get a longer exposure using IS and that could definitiely come in handy w/ my lack of good flash, Any suggestions. What ISO to shoot on? Exposure? Apurture? I will do some playing around as I'm using a digital and can see what looks good, but your suggestions are greatly appreciated.

I also am asking for any other suggestions you may have in general for the shoot. How to make a 70 year old woman look her best?

THANK YOU !!!!!!!!

2. Alison

Alison Swiss Army Friend Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    You're dealing with a lot of tough conditions! The first thought that comes to my mind is if you're planning to use window light you might be in a for a big disappointment if it's too bright, or if it's rainy and you don't get the light that you expect. If you don't have a stand or assistant to hold the reflector you can always prop it up against a chair...or even better enlist the help of good ol' Uncle Joe if this is your family that you are shooting. You can make a reflector out of the things you've mentioned and it would be fine. I'd also be concerned about harsh sunlight coming in and might want to rig something to diffuse the light, a sheet would work just fine.

I'd be wary of trying to use the 200mm indoors as to get a good portrait shot you're going to be very, very far away from your subjects. I typically use my 50mm for portraits, and sometimes even my 20mm if it's a large group shot.

As for ISO and other settings I can't advise because I don't know what the lighting will be like. I've gotten good results on ISO 400 for my 10D in dimly lit situations indoors or outside when it's very overcast.

For posing, something traditional will probably be best. I usually bring a stool or two for seating and have the man sit, with the woman standing behind him. This serves a few purposes, women worry more about looking "large" in photos and to have her behind her husband hides any tummy rolls or excess weight that she might be worried about.

Best of luck to you!

3. clemeys

clemeys TPF Noob!

Thanks Allison!

I will post a few shots I liked from it. This was my 2nd event where I was the photographer, and I was freakin exausted last night. Arrived at location by 1, left at 5.30, shot 375 exposures, and went to bed by 9!! I forgot to eat most of the afternoon, and so half way through developed a splitting headache.