Any tips on multiple (double) exposure?

SuzukiGS750EZ

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys. I shoot with a canon 80d and now that I feel confident with the camera and have shot multiple things such as sports, portrait, wildlife, etc. I want to lay back a bit and try being artistic. I've anyways been intrigued by double exposure but don't know the general rule of thumb to get a proudly "exposed" image to work with the technique. Any tips or general rules?

First off, Does you camera have a Multiple Exposure option?
most Nikons do, I don't know about Canon.

Why? It would be easier to do and to control if you blend two separate exposures in post-processing. I cannot think of a single advantage of doing the blending in camera.

From checking online the 80D does have multiple exposure and you can do it in camera.
there's many tutorials out there to do it in post processing (Photoshop, etc).

I'm not sure if this is specific to the 80D ==>

here's DigitalRev reviewing in-camera multiple exposure (always funny)

So if I wanted to do a head shot of myself with leaves filling in my face, would I under expose my face and properly expose the leaves or over expose my face?

So if I wanted to do a head shot of myself with leaves filling in my face, would I under expose my face and properly expose the leaves or over expose my face?
Depends upon how you want it.
I recommend you experiment with and without your face properly exposed and with and without the leaves properly exposed. Since it's digital you aren't wasting too many resources and you can reshoot as many times as you feel the need to in order to get a desired result in camera. Otherwise you can spend time to do exactly what you want in post processing.

With my 70d it has to be in jpg mode or it will be greyed out, the in camera mult exp. system. Similar I believe with the hdr mode. just fyi if you shoot raw

I shoot raw and it allowed me to do multi exposure. Not hdr though

Most reactions

Back