Any tips on refining WB for skin when the BG is green/yellow?

A reference card (spectrally neutral) always gives you an accurate reading of the light color at the location of the card.

....and the light color at the location of the card is not always pleasant for the skin tone. That's the issue. LOL

Ah, ok -- so you didn't really mean accurate then. Got it. ;)

Joe

I should clarify, accurate to the skin tone that you want. :)

A reference card (spectrally neutral) always gives you an accurate reading of the light color at the location of the card.

....and the light color at the location of the card is not always pleasant for the skin tone. That's the issue. LOL
I actually wondered about that. Depending on where you hold the card it could drastically effect the colors of the skin. The reflected light halfway between camera and subject might be different than the light falling ON the subject, depending on th source, etc. I suppose having them hold the card right by their face would be best? Haha

That's pretty customary. Putting the card at the location where you want to take a measurement is kind of logical.

Joe

Ah, ok -- so you didn't really mean accurate then. Got it. ;)

Joe

I should clarify, accurate to the skin tone that you want. :)

Then the word accurate just doesn't belong there at all.

Joe

The weather forecasters predicted rain here yesterday and indeed it did rain almost all day. I didn't want it to rain so their forecast wasn't accurate.

That's the point of the Macbeth card. To make sure all colors are represented accurately despite the light of the scene. ;) It's a good bit faster than putting two images next to each other and "tuning" the colors manually. It does, however, require that you remember to use it on location; something I tend to forget at least half the time. :blush:

I actually wondered about that. Depending on where you hold the card it could drastically effect the colors of the skin. The reflected light halfway between camera and subject might be different than the light falling ON the subject, depending on th source, etc. I suppose having them hold the card right by their face would be best? Haha
Put the card in the subject position under the key light. In practice, you usually have the subject hold the card up, or you walk over and take a picture of it. ;)
Making a profile right from Lr is stupid simple. select the image of the card. Crop in on the card (not always necessary) and right click; select "export to Color Checker Passport (or the free x-rite ICC profile software if you didn't buy the Passport kit)". BAM. Profile created. Now you just select the color profile in the camera calibration field and done. At this point your colors should be spot on and ready for you to tune to taste.

That's the point of the Macbeth card. To make sure all colors are represented accurately despite the light of the scene. ;) It's a good bit faster than putting two images next to each other and "tuning" the colors manually. It does, however, require that you remember to use it on location; something I tend to forget at least half the time. :blush:

There's one inside every camera case/bag I own. Even my little go everywhere compact has one -- required hardware.

Joe

camera_bag_zps7b4b08e3.jpg~original

Put the card in the subject position under the key light. In practice, you usually have the subject hold the card up, or you walk over and take a picture of it. ;)
Making a profile right from Lr is stupid simple. select the image of the card. Crop in on the card (not always necessary) and right click; select "export to Color Checker Passport (or the free x-rite ICC profile software if you didn't buy the Passport kit)". BAM. Profile created. Now you just select the color profile in the camera calibration field and done. At this point your colors should be spot on and ready for you to tune to taste.

That does sound stupid simple. I think it's probably just time I invest in a color check card..

That does sound stupid simple. I think it's probably just time I invest in a color check card..

If all you want is a good WB reference you don't need a color checker. A piece of white Styrofoam will work as well -- coffee cup. The color checker has the added advantage of allowing you to build and refine input profiles, but that's not really a terribly useful thing to do outside of a studio unless the ones you're using are creating a problem. Start by just getting a free WB reference target.

Joe

This thread needs some photos :D

Two different shoots, two different scene, different people but close enough skin tone to have some sort of consistency...

D6C2059[1].jpg

20140726_Erin-Kyle-Pine-Rose-Cabins-wedding_05919[1].jpg

If all you want is a good WB reference you don't need a color checker. A piece of white Styrofoam will work as well -- coffee cup. The color checker has the added advantage of allowing you to build and refine input profiles, but that's not really a terribly useful thing to do outside of a studio unless the ones you're using are creating a problem. Start by just getting a free WB reference target.

Joe
Probably true, but if I'm going to start using custom WB several times during a shoot, I might as well use a tool to give me more fine tuning options.

Joe
Probably true, but if I'm going to start using custom WB several times during a shoot, I might as well use a tool to give me more fine tuning options.

If you're shooting raw there's no need to waste time setting a custom WB. That's a drag. Just get periodic shots of a reference card and then use those in LR to get WB values.

Joe

Joe

If you're shooting raw there's no need to waste time setting a custom WB. That's a drag. Just get periodic shots of a reference card and then use those in LR to get WB values.

Joe
That's actually what I meant, I just wasn't wording it properly. I mean that if I'm taking the time to take reference shots, I might as well use a more capable tool in case I want to make further adjustments.

This thread needs some photos :D

Two different shoots, two different scene, different people but close enough skin tone to have some sort of consistency...

View attachment 110591

View attachment 110592
1st, beautiful images! 2nd, that's what I worry about. An image by itself is one thing, but put two next to each other that have different color control and they look very inconsistent..

1st, beautiful images! 2nd, that's what I worry about. An image by itself is one thing, but put two next to each other that have different color control and they look very inconsistent..

People have different skin tone and different "brightness" on their skin. When you add different light and green tint from the foliage then it's a whole different level. For me the point is not to make everyone have the same skin tone, but to enhance the natural skin tone of the person.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back