Any tips on taking Aquarium Fish pics ?

Photo Lady

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
i have 24 fish tanks .. i am using {new at DSLR} nikon d5000 and i want to improve on my fish pics.. any tips on the settings i should use.. kind of dark room.. low lights in fish tanks.. thanks..

With low light you are talking high ISO, large aperture and possibly slow shutter speed. Slow shutter speed equals motion blur. A flash can be used but it would need to be off axis to the lens (off camera) or glass (looking at the aquarium at an angle)to not get the flash reflection . Put your camera on a tripod and experiment with various setings and/or flash.

Oh, I almost forgot ... white balance for the type of lighting you use for the aquariums.

I'm a fish person and love shooting their pictures too. I've been shooting fish for about 4 years now. I have 3 fish tanks right now, all with a betta or other anabantoid. What worked best for me was shining a bright light into the tank temporarily just to shoot the pictures. The lower the ambient lighting, the longer the exposure/larger the aperture/higher ISO you'll need to use, as Vinny pointed out. That's why I recommend shining a bright light in the tank. You'll want to use at least 1/250 sec shutter speed to freeze movement.

PM'd you with some other info. :)

Hello friends!
I want to invite you all to play with me at GP Latale Online - GamesPirate.com.

If you want to join me in this great game, or you want to join one of the other games that GamesPirate.com has,
please click on the following links:
Main Site: GamesPirate.com
Forums: Games Pirate Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Game Site: GP Latale Online - GamesPirate.com

Note:
This message was provided by "GP Latale" to be used in our advertising system.
We take no responsibility for the misuse of this system.
WTF

fish003.jpg

this is a couple i took tonight
fish001.jpg

Beautiful pictures! Something I forgot to mention is it is a bad idea to use any kind of flash when shooting fish. Some fish have an iridescence and the flash will often bring out the color of their iridescence than the actual color you see under normal lighting conditions. What lens were you using?

Beautiful pictures! Something I forgot to mention is it is a bad idea to use any kind of flash when shooting fish. Some fish have an iridescence and the flash will often bring out the color of their iridescence than the actual color you see under normal lighting conditions. What lens were you using?
i just cannot get enough light without the flash.. i did take a few of the frontosa without the lights.. but it came out dark.. i did use a very slow shutter speed.. maybe i will try pics of the fish tommorrow in natural light with out the flash and see how that turns out.. thanks a bunch..the lens i used is the only one i have at present.. 18-55mm

i just cannot get enough light without the flash.. i did take a few of the frontosa without the lights.. but it came out dark.. i did use a very slow shutter speed.. maybe i will try pics of the fish tommorrow in natural light with out the flash and see how that turns out.. thanks a bunch..the lens i used is the only one i have at present.. 18-55mm

Try opening blinds during the brightest time of day. I love shooting with as much day light as possible.

I'm a fish person and love shooting their pictures too. I've been shooting fish for about 4 years now. I have 3 fish tanks right now, all with a betta or other anabantoid. What worked best for me was shining a bright light into the tank temporarily just to shoot the pictures. The lower the ambient lighting, the longer the exposure/larger the aperture/higher ISO you'll need to use, as Vinny pointed out. That's why I recommend shining a bright light in the tank. You'll want to use at least 1/250 sec shutter speed to freeze movement.

PM'd you with some other info. :)
thanks so much.. i will try the bright light and no flash ... i will also set shutter speed as you mentioned.. be fun trying it.. i would love to see a couple of your fish pics when you can... i also have monsters.. 17 inch clown knife.. and 30 inch arowana.. and red devils and jaguars.. but i concentrated on my african cichlids tonight..:mrgreen:

With low light you are talking high ISO, large aperture and possibly slow shutter speed. Slow shutter speed equals motion blur. A flash can be used but it would need to be off axis to the lens (off camera) or glass (looking at the aquarium at an angle)to not get the flash reflection . Put your camera on a tripod and experiment with various setings and/or flash.

Oh, I almost forgot ... white balance for the type of lighting you use for the aquariums.
thanks so much Vinny:mrgreen:

fish009.jpg
a couple more i took tonight.. the bottom pic is my 12 inch Adonis pleco .. the spot on the nose must have been a water spot on the lens from splashing fish... haha

Try opening blinds during the brightest time of day. I love shooting with as much day light as possible.
the two fish rooms are in the basement with only one small window in each room.. what i think i will do is take pics of the aquarium in living room that gets lots of natural light.. practice there.. but i won't be able to do that for a couple of days..

Most reactions

New Topics

Back