Anybody else have A Sigma 12-24mm???

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by Canon Fan, Jan 10, 2006.

1. Canon Fan

Canon Fan TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I just bought one the other day and should get it tomorrow or thursday. Just wondering if anyone else has this lens and what pointers might help with it (other than the usual wide angle stuf ie distortion perspective ect).

Also does anyone know where extra lens caps or hoods can be found for them? I am working on a resin cast that will create a slip on cokin P filter adapter for it so I can use real filters instead of the stupid non-existant drop in gels :grumpy: But I don't want to wreck my only cap/hood in making the mold:er:

2. cumi

cumi TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
  3. Canon Fan

Canon Fan TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thanks, I had forgotten all about that page and there doesn't seem to be all that many reviews of this sucker out there. They all say pretty much the same thing.

I did miss the point about the threads in the lens cap in the past though. Makes me think that the petal type lens hood is non-removable. Looks like I may have to consider extra large square filters to get away from the vignetting issues.

Guess I'll just have to wait until it shows up so I know for sure.

The other real question I am after here though was tips about shooting at ultra wide angles of 20mm and less. Since I haven't had a "good" wide angle to practice with I could use some tips on controling persprctive distortion ect. Guess I'll post a topic on that specifically.

Thanks again.

4. markc

markc TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I don't use ultra-wides, so the only thing I can think of is to keep it level to avoid horizon distortion. That limit's your composition, though. You end up with the horizon right in the middle where you don't usually want it. People are going to look pretty funky too, especially the closer you get to them. It's really going to distort relative size of body parts.

5. danalec99

danalec99 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I have the same 12-24, which I haven't touched in a while. Except for the considerable amount of barrell distortion (btw, I use it on x1.6 bodies), I don't have any complaints. It is a solid lens. The fixed petal hood is not good when you want to simply use a polarizer or some filter.

It would have been my favourite lens, if it had a wider aperture. The same reason why I am eyeing a 16-35 Canon. But that is just a personal preference.

6. Canon Fan

Canon Fan TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Really? Every review I have seen was raving about how relatively little distortion this lens had:confused: Hmmm, I guess it's a good thing they finally added simple lens corrections in PS CS2:er:

So the hood is fixed huh? Rats:x

7. danalec99

danalec99 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Okay... I must admit some exaggeration about the 'considerable' part :p, because I'm not a fan of distortion, when not needed.

Overall this is a cool lens if you are okay with the aperture. :thumbsup:
    Let us know the results!!

Here is another review site.